Image may contain: Female, Flower, Plant, Blossom, Person, Human, Face, Skin

We spoke to the models walking in Leeds RAG Fashion Show 2020

Imagine having this on your CV though

Featured Image: Rhiannon Thomas

The week has offically arrived. Leeds RAG Fashion Show will take over The Refectory for two spectacular nights this Friday and Saturday. Before the committee transform the venue into a Greek ‘Elysian‘ paradise, the models are training behind the scenes to ensure there are no slips on the night, we hope.

The Leeds Tab caught up with some of the individuals who will be taking to the runway to talk about all things fashion, from wedding outfits (really) to Vivienne Westwood and Anna Wintour.

Luana Pacurar, 2nd year, Management with Marketing

Image may contain: Tattoo, Face, Human, Person, Skin

Credit: Rhiannon Thomas

With only one week left to go, how do you feel knowing you will be walking in Leeds’ biggest fashion show?

“I’m really excited, my scene has a very fierce vibe and I can’t wait until show day so that everyone can see the hard work that’s been put in. I’m feeling even more hyped than I felt last year!”

If you had to choose one statement piece which represents you, what would this be, and why?

“Definitely necklaces, I’m always wearing something that goes with my mood and outfit and if chosen right, it can be one of the best statement pieces.”

Who is your ultimate fashion inspiration, and why?

“It would have to be Anna Wintour, I can’t understand how you can get out of the house every day and look that impeccable, I’m no where near that, but that’s where I’m trying to get.”

What are you most excited for on the show nights?

“The feeling you get when you’re queueing backstage before the walk; all the emotions take over, it’s an insane feeling and the main reason I love doing this! You have to go through the experience to understand it.”

Ella Lacey, 3rd year, Law

Image may contain: Couch, Furniture, Fashion, Gown, Evening Dress, Robe, Costume, Night Life, Glass, Face, Female, Purple, Clothing, Apparel, Person, Human

“So excited. It feels great to be part of a show that not only celebrates and showcases some of the amazing creative talent the students of Leeds have to offer but also raises money for important charities.”

“A graphic/band tee. When I’m not all dolled up for a night out I tend to have quite a relaxed style and will always gravitate towards a cool, oversized graphic t-shirt. I feel like they represent my day to day style well and can reflect your personality by showing your interests on your tee.”

“It’s so hard to just choose one. I love Rosie Huntington Whiteley’s minimalistic style – she always looks so classy without going over the top. I also love Kate Moss and Bella Hadid as I feel I have similar styles to them so love seeing what looks they wear.”

“I’m most excited to see everything brought together after seeing all the hard work of the LRFS Committee and models, but I also can’t wait to see all the models in their outfits and all being excited together for the show backstage.”

William Mwaura, 4th year, Medicine

“I feel privileged to be a part of something that is always well received and helps raise so much for charities every year.”

“I would have to say white airforces, a timeless classic that are reliable and can go with most looks.”

“At the moment it’s @therealduu_ from urbvngent for his minimalistic look that is always sharp whether its a full tracksuit or a 3 piece suit.”

“I’m in quite a fun scene so I’m hoping to interact with the crowd and put on a show. I have some friends coming up to watch so I’m excited to see how they find it and then getting litty at the afterparty.”

Joshua Davies, 2nd year, Spanish, Portuguese, and Latin American Studies

“I’m super excited, it’s my first time doing a big fashion show and it’s come around so fast!”

“My statement piece of clothing would be my black check coat, I’ve had it for years and I couldn’t live without it.”

“There’s too many to choose from, probably somewhere between Vivienne Westwood, Amy Winehouse and Mick Jagger.”

“The adrenaline before I step onto the runway! The suspense before will be intense but really exciting.”

Eleanor Davies, 2nd year, Medicine

Image may contain: Weaponry, Weapon, Scissors, Blade, Bottle, Fire, Wine, Goblet, Glass, Beverage, Drink, Beer, Alcohol, Human, Person

“I’m quite clumsy so worst case scenario is that I stack it on the runway… No but really, I’m excited to do something out of my comfort zone. I love fashion and I feel lucky to be able to wear hand-made clothes by Leeds designers and raise money for some great charities at the same time.”

“Black leather chunky boots. I wear them everywhere and they tie together so many outfits.”

“That’s difficult because most of my fashion inspiration just comes from people I see on the street. Other than that, it’s Cynthia Cervantes Gumbs (and her husband, Travis Gumbs). They are the most beautiful couple, their baby is gorgeous, her tattoos are unique, her energy is so confident, but most of all their wedding outfits were breathtaking.”

“I’m excited to show off the designer’s incredible work and to walk knowing I’m surrounded by creative people who love expressing themselves in the same way I do.”

Minori Iwahashi, final year, Film, Photography & Media

Credit: Rhiannon Thomas

“Super super excited! This will be my third and final Leeds Rag Fashion Show so I’m really happy to be involved and go out with a bang. There will be two shows for the first time in LRFS history so hopefully more people will be able to watch as it’s known to be an annual sell-out event!”

“Earrings for sure. Whether it be hoops, anything heart-shaped, or a bunch of pearls, I can’t leave the house without something dangling from my ear, which is why I have an emergency pair in my purse at all times.”

“Though most people tend to consider celebrities their fashion inspiration, mine tends to be designers or innovators of fashion. Rei Kawakubo, founder of Comme des Garçons and Dover Street Market, would be mine as she explores her Japanese identity through fashion while also recognising other cultural influences in her work. I think this is extremely reflective of who I am as a person, a europeanised Japanese who is open to different styles, cultures, and presentations in the way I dress.

“I also absolutely love streetwear which is why I like CDG for their loud, confrontational pieces that are still very elegant and put together if styled properly. Dover Street Market as a store also continues to be at the forefront of fashion, making it an inspiring and creative space to be in.”

“I can’t wait to see how everything comes together on the runway, from the makeup to the individual outfits as well as the people. I’ve met incredible people every year through LRFS and I can’t wait to spend time with everyone on Friday and Saturday, as well as after the show.”

Martyna Haliniak, 3rd year, Maths

“Getting more excited every day. I still haven’t found out what I’m going to be wearing so I’m looking forward to that.”

“I own a few pieces of jewellery that have sentimental value to me. Each one has a different meaning and wearing them makes me feel confident.”

“It’s hard to choose one, most of my fashion inspiration comes from the people I see in everyday life.”

“Seeing all the models in their outfits and full makeup is always exciting as they all look amazing. I also can’t wait for everyone but especially my family and friends to see what we’ve been preparing for so long.”

Saturday’s show has officially sold out, but the final remaining tickets for Friday’s show can be picked up here. You can also still pick up tickets to Saturday’s after party at Freedom Mills right here.