Image may contain: Club, Pub, Bar Counter, Glass, Beverage, Drink, Sunglasses, Accessory, Accessories, Human, Person

How to identify a Leeds student by their choice in sunglasses

But are you the real slim shady?

To think that sunglasses were just for when it is sunny. Yes, this will remain their main use, but when coming to Leeds, you will see students wearing their shades on all their weekly nights out. Who knows why? I’m a fan none-the-less.

Here we go, an insight into what it really means to wear the sunglasses you put on.

1. The basic bitch glasses

Image may contain: Jewelry, Clothing, Apparel, Glasses, Skin, Face, Human, Person, Sunglasses, Accessory, Accessories

These thin, cat eye glasses always worn at the end of your nose have blown up our Instagram feeds in the last year or so, purely because (a more expensive version) are in the hands of our very own, Kendall Jenner. Whether they are classic black, white or even red, this look screams, trying to be edgy. So hun, sorry to break the bad news, but turning to the vintage section of Missguided and Pretty Little Thing isn’t always the way to go.

2. The even more basic round shades

Image may contain: Hood, Helmet, Vacation, People, Face, Accessories, Accessory, Sunglasses, Human, Person, Apparel, Clothing

Whether they are your high-key Ray Bans or your £2 knock offs from Primark, these shades are a recently modern and extremely trendy look to have blessed our society. To most, they do extremely well at successfully accessorising the summer wardrobe but for some, unfortunately, and myself included, they do end up looking rather Jimmy Saville esqe. So be careful, and check in the mirror just one more time to make sure that you too don’t fit that disastrous category.

Just wait though, till the weather finally brightens and these bad boys will be spotted everywhere on the streets of Leeds.

3. The Kaleidoscope glasses

Image may contain: Portrait, Photography, Photo, Necklace, Jewelry, Face, Sunglasses, Human, Person, Glasses, Accessories, Accessory

Now, these are more than just your everyday shades. From my own use, I can safely say that they do create an experience of a lifetime. Unlikely to be worn in the day (although who knows what some of you crazy Leeds students get up to) but put these on during a wonky night out at Beaverworks and trust me, you really won’t regret it. You may, however, get a many a pat on your shoulder from some random person begging to try them on in aspiration to reach that level of feeling really and truly fuckuckered.

Ps. To have to admit when asked that you purchased your new wavy shades off Amazon is unfortunate but trust me, you have got to power through the embarrassment as it really is worth it.

4. The Classic aviators

Image may contain: Finger, Sunglasses, Face, Glasses, Accessory, Accessories, Person, Human

Standard, rather boring but a classic; these glasses fully get you through the summer holidays. They cover most your face, so even when you are having a bad skin day or spent a bit too long in the sun the day before, who the fuck cares.

They may not catch the attention from the ‘edgy Leeds’ community but the bog standard, typical shades are the day-to-day success wear of the sunny times.

5. The Curt Kobain Clout Goggles

Well, you can hold your horses right here because we have finally reached the ultimate peak of sexy shades (I say with sarcasm). Yes, they have been worn by the faves, ASAP Rocky, Lil Yachty you name it, and I doubt you will find a drum n bass loving Leeds lad who hasn’t rocked up to an event in his lifetime in a pair of these bad boys.

But to those who have had the audacity to wear these in Hyde Park on just a chilled warm day in the sun, or even worse, a family holiday (even if they are the Acne Studios or Saint Laurent originals): for you, I have no words.