Image may contain: Building, Female, Face, Clothing, Apparel, Human, Person

Have you heard of 21 Co? You have now: The Headingley Cafe that employs young adults with Down Syndrome

Headingley Café employs young adults with Down Syndrome

Image may contain: Restaurant, Bakery, Door, Vase, Jar, Potted Plant, Plant, Pottery, Shop, Human, Person

A Café that offers an inspirational, welcoming and warming environment that doesn't cost you a hefty lump of your student loan? That's not possible! Well actually… its only right on your doorstep at 21 Co Cafe.

Headingley Café '21 Co' is a super inspiring tea shop which not only gives you a sense of faith in human nature, but also saves the dollar.

Don't bother spending your student loan at spennybucks and costalot – get in the know and head to 21 and Co.

Located on Otley Road in Headingley, Café 21 employs and trains young adults with Down Syndrome and deffo left me feeling inspired by all the hard working employees.

Image may contain: Furniture, Table, Smile, Clothing, Apparel, Accessories, Glasses, Accessory, Electronics, Shop, Face, Text, Shelf, Human, Person

21 Co opened on Saturday the 12th of January by Leeds Down Syndrome charity 'Sunshine and Smiles' to give young adults the chance to gain proper work experience.

This is a massive step forward for the Cafe, as only 17% of adults with learning difficulties are in paid employment and the employees as 21 Co are paid the exact same as everyone else.

After speaking to employees, Louise and Roysin, it was so clear how much they loved working there as they enthusiastically welcomed me. I couldn't help feeling their infectious happiness!

I mean you’re lucky if you get your name spelt right in Starbucks so you might as well pay less and get 5* treatment at this fab café.

Image may contain: Person, Human, Home Decor, Pottery, Potted Plant, Vase, Jar, Blossom, Flower, Plant, Blackboard

Would 100% recommend one of Louise’s Latte’s (which are said to be the best made in the café). They also offer other dairy alternatives too, with loads of fresh cakes and yummy bakes.

The café even has a little crafty gift shop with lots of cutesy nic nacs which range from cards to cacti.

Image may contain: Living Room, Bookcase, Furniture, Shop, Interior Design, Room, Person, Human, Shelf, Indoors

Ever since its opening it has caught loads of publicity, most recently being on This Morning. It not only caught public attention but it's also caught the hearts of many, which was very clear when being amongst loads of other customers, from students to families.

It is sincerely hoped by all staff and customers that more chances are given to young adults with disabilities and that 21 Co will stay open for a lot longer than it’s estimated 6 months.

21 Co. Headingley Central, Otley Road, LS6 2UE.

Opening Times:

Image may contain: Text, Human, Person, Advertisement, Poster