Image may contain: Accessory, Accessories, Apparel, Clothing, Selfie, Photo, Photography, Portrait, Head, Smile, Girl, Kid, Blonde, Child, Teen, Woman, Female, Person, Human, Face

I’m sorry, but Valentine’s Day is outdated, sexist and a COMPLETE waste of money

Why are we still celebrating it?

It’s that time of year again. All your friends, who are in relationships, are going on and on about their dinner bookings and romantic plans. While, you’re wondering whether pizza and a Gossip Girl marathon counts as a Valentine’s Day plan… It absolutley does btw.

Sorry to sound bitter and single but Valentine’s Day is outdated, sexist and a complete waste of money. If the increased price of chocolate isn’t enough to make you agree, then think about it this way; today, it’s all one big social media competition.

So I decided to ask my mates, boys and girls, for their thoughts on the big day. And, shocker, most of the agreed with me.

Did it even happen if its not on Instagram?

Gone are the days of being absolutely mortified at the thought of being the only one without a Valentine or genuinely spending time planning a thoughtful moment with your significant other. Now, it’s all about #boydidgood and a photo of a Michael Kors watch begging for 100 likes on Instagram.

Emma says, “It’s just a competition for some girls as to what they can post on social media and who can have the most spent on them. It’s not about the person you’re spending it with, most are only interested in the money side."

Image may contain: Saucer, Pottery, Bread, Food

If I see one more #datenight pic, I will delete Insta

Not only this, women are more empowered today, we don’t need a teddy bear and a heart shaped card to feel validated. The outdated attempt at making women feel less than, because of their relationship status disappeared when Destiny’s Child told us “ladies leave your man at home, the club is full of ballers and their pockets full grown”.

Kate put it simply: “women don’t feel pressured to be with someone on Valentine’s Day anymore.” Preach.

It's not just sexist for girls, what about the boys?

Men have it just as bad on February 14th. Fellow Leeds student, Emma, says, “I feel like Valentine’s Day is so driven for boys to buy girls gifts and it’s not a mutual thing; the same as the outdated idea of boys having to pay for dates.”

I then turned to the guys to get their thoughts on the subject. Josh says that the pressure for boys come from "unrealistically high expectations based on movies and fake media posts".

Image may contain: Goblet, Home Decor, Lighting, Tabletop, Meal, Food, Plant, Pub, Bar Counter, Restaurant, Glass, Dining Table, Table, Chair, Furniture, Human, Person

This is wayyy more my vibe

So, if you think it sucks for us girls imagine being a lad trying to compete with posts circulating from girls who have been gifted a trip to Thailand when they can just about afford to take you to Nandos.

All the single ladies, and ones in a relationship too…

You might be reading this thinking, okay well she’s single so of course she thinks that. However, I also asked girls in relationships and their thoughts mirrored mine.

Image may contain: Dating, Apparel, Clothing, Selfie, Girl, Portrait, Photo, Photography, Party, Lip, Teeth, Mouth, Smile, Woman, Laughing, Female, Face, Human, Person

Zoe Webster, who has been with her boyfriend around eight months says, “I feel like it’s too commercialised and it is just another money-making day.”

Of course, everyone loves to feel special, and all that, but honestly I’d much prefer for a boy to buy me flowers on a random Tuesday just because he wanted to and not because he felt forced to.

Let's support a new holiday – that's way more fun anyways

Emma Bray summarises the pointlessness of Valentine’s Day perfectly, “I’m more interested in March 14th, ‘Steak and Blowjob Day’, at least it benefits both parties”.

At least you can’t take a picture of that and put it on Instagram…