Image may contain: Sweater, Pants, Woman, Blonde, Teen, Kid, Girl, Female, Child, Face, Person, Human, Apparel, Clothing

Here are all the stages of being alone and single this Valentine’s Day

Watch every rom com and you will be okay

February 14th aka Valentine’s Day. It’s the time of the year when all your friends in relationships daydream about the gifts they will inevitably receive, the soppy love notes they’ll give to their significant other on date night and the over the top PDA – that suddenly becomes socially acceptable?

But for everyone else February 14th is like every other day of the week, except we are forced to endure the month-long celebration of love as every store seems to turn red and pink with monotonous campaigns on finding your one true love.

1. The realisation that V Day is here

Image may contain: Goblet, Home Decor, Lighting, Tabletop, Meal, Food, Plant, Pub, Bar Counter, Restaurant, Glass, Dining Table, Table, Chair, Furniture, Human, Person

Christmas just happened, you still have the remnants of the Christmas chocolates, yet love hearts relentlessly find their way into your life as you walk through the city. Then it hits you: Valentine’s Day. The day you have been dreading.

2. The resolution that this is the LAST year alone

Image may contain: Bar Counter, Face, Pub, Wine Glass, Wine, Glass, Dating, Alcohol, Drink, Beverage, Human, Person

Whilst relationships may be great, the reality of being alone on Valentine’s Day brings with it a harsh reality. First, there is the resolution when you decide this will be your year, this year you will find someone, you WILL receive those cheesy notes and presents if it’s the last thing you do.

3. The retreat to Netflix and comfort food

Image may contain: Restaurant, Couch, Furniture, Meal, Food, Person, Human

Next comes the reality. After attempting to locate any male or female within a 50-mile radius, who may be mildly suitable for your Valentine’s Day, you retreat to Netflix and comfort food. Whilst you enjoy your time binge watching your favourite TV shows, you inevitably continuously dip into and shuffle the selection of "sad song" playlists on Spotify. Belting out the lyrics to All by Myself, in a recreation of Bridget Jones’ Diary brings you once step closer to the turning point in the movie of your life.

4. The empowerment that you don't need no man

As the calming voice of Louis Theroux surges through your room you are hit with the realisation that you don’t need a relationship. In the words of Roald Dahl, "Matilda was left alone. That was how she liked it." You are strong and independent, and someone who does not need a partner. Whilst you can be happy for the couples that you see flock through the city centre, you confidently bound through the streets; music blasting through your headphones in your own personal musical.

5. You hit that cheesy, corny but incredible happy phase

Image may contain: Face, Nature, Outdoors, Person, Human

No-one bought you the chocolates you are now devouring, but you survived it. Valentine’s Day is over for another year, and you have 364 days to find someone – or not. The point is you don’t really care, you are happy with yourself, your friends and your life just as they are.