Image may contain: Neighborhood, Pants, Town, City, Architecture, Shorts, Clothing, Apparel, Slum, Person, Human, Urban, Building

From Eddy B to Peru: How Leeds students can get involved with volunteering

Bringing edgy Leeds vibes all the way to South America

Leeds RAG are looking for volunteers to join in with their latest project, 'Supporting Kids in Peru', or SKIP which promises to suit any student who is compassionate and adventurous, who wants to make a difference across the world.

Based in El Porvenir, a small village in Trujillo in the north of Peru, SKIP not only supports children but their families too. Thw area is recognised as one of the poorest in the country, with the highest levels of illiteracy. SKIP provides supplementary education to go alongside the national school system. It provides English lessons, sports and art classes, homework support, a library, and a relaxed environment for children to play and develop their social skills.

Image may contain: Girl, Face, Jeans, Denim, Female, People, Pants, Shoe, Apparel, Clothing, Footwear, Human, Person

The program also hosts workshops for parents to provide them with invaluable skills to help them beat poverty. This includes jewellery making workshops, micro-grants, social and business skills classes, and many more opportunities. SKIP have even supported some of their students on their journey towards university.

It may be over 6000 miles away from the home comforts of Crispy's, but this project could not be possible without the work of Leeds students, meaning YOU can get involved.

Image may contain: Exercise, Sports, Sport, Working Out, Fitness, Family, Silhouette, Human, Person, People

As volunteers, you will be staying in Peru for a month and will help with the general running of the charity, including teaching English, arts, sports, and working in the library. SKIP will also be running a construction project. Last year, the volunteers built a climbing frame out of tires in the playground.

We can't promise that the digs will be up to Charles Morris standards, but RAG will be hiring out a hostel so you will have the common rooms and kitchens to yourself, as well as transport and drinking water which will be provided.

Image may contain: Jeans, Denim, Street, Urban, City, Building, Town, Road, Afro Hairstyle, Hand, Hair, Pants, Shoe, Footwear, Shorts, Human, Person, Apparel, Clothing

Of course, Leeds students could not be staying in Peru without a little adventure, which is why there will be two optional weekend trips away. One will be to Huaraz, where you can explore the local town and possibly go horseback riding through the Andes. After that, there is a guided hike to Lake 69, a beautiful blue lagoon in the heights of the Andes. The other will be a trip to Mancora, where you will visit markets in the small hippy village and even swim with turtles.

In Trujillo, there are options to visit old Moche civilisation ruins or even go sandboarding. On both of these weekends and whilst you're in Trujillo, there are many bars so there'll never be a dull moment. Just don't forget your glitter.

Image may contain: Art, Human, Person

The approximate costs of this trip will be £240 for accommodation, meals, and transport, £200 for the weekend excursions, flight costs, and each volunteer will need to fundraise £700. RAG will be running fundraising events and socials throughout the year so this amount is easily achievable with some hard work but also good fun. If you would like some more information then please email [email protected] or come to our drop-in hours advertised on the Facebook page SKIP Project to Peru 2018/19.