There was an anti-Tory demo in Leeds today to protest against tuition fees

Everyone hates tuition fees, unless you’re Theresa May

A march by Leeds for Free Education took place in the City Centre today, calling for the abolition of tuition fees by the government.

The protest took place the same day as the Chancellor announced his 2017 budget, where tuition fees were not mentioned, indicating that the government intends to keep tuition fees at their current rate of  £9,250.

WATCH: People are protesting for free education in Leeds

Posted by The Tab Leeds on Wednesday, November 22, 2017

The protesters argued that instead of charging for young people for education, they should increase corporation tax and be stricter on tax avoidance.

Iain Dalton, Leeds for Free Education treasurer said: “The Labour party should be pressing the government on policies that would make a real difference to young people. Scrapping tuition fees, taxing the very rich and re-nationalising sectors such as railways would more than help fund such policies”.

The protest began by the Parkinson steps at Leeds University and marched down into Leeds City Centre.

Passions were high as the demonstrators chanted “education for the masses, not just for the ruling classes” and “education should be free, not just for the bourgeoisie”.

The Leeds public seemed to agree with their message, with many car horns, fist pumping and chanting along with the protesters as they made their way to Dortmund Square.