One of Ian Brady’s victim’s remains were kept at Leeds University by Manchester Police

The family was unaware

The body parts of victim Pauline Reade, including her jaw bone and hair, were stored at Leeds University without her family’s knowledge for over thirty years. Pauline was murdered by Brady and Hindley on 12th July 1963 when she was just sixteen. Her remains were only revealed after a police audit in May after Brady’s death.

The rest of Pauline’s body was found on Saddleworth Moor with some of the other victims in 1987. After her family had believed to have laid Pauline to rest, Greater Manchester Police delivered the rest of the remains to her niece, Jackie Reade.

A University of Leeds spokesperson said: “Human tissue belonging to Pauline Reade was stored on university premises on behalf of Greater Manchester Police. The tissue was retained pending further instructions from Greater Manchester Police. It has subsequently been returned to the police. We understand the family’s distress.”

Ms Reade, 44, from Wythenshawe, said: “I am devastated. It has brought it all back. I am disgusted that part of Pauline could be kept like this. I was 13 when Pauline was found. I remember the day very clearly. My nana and grandad, (Pauline’s parents) Joan and Amos, were still alive at the time.”

Martin Bottomley, head of GMP’s Cold Case Unit, said: “We recently became aware that human tissue belonging to Pauline Reade had been stored in external premises on behalf of GMP. The samples had originally been kept for investigative purposes. As soon as we became aware of this, we contacted Pauline’s family to make arrangements so that the samples could be laid to rest in whichever way they felt most fitting.”

He continued: “This is a deeply sensitive matter and understandably it has caused some upset with the family; however, we felt contacting them was the right thing to do and we have given them a number of options, all of which GMP will pay for.”