Everything happening in Leeds this week

It’s frightfully good

Blustery weather, falling leaves and essay deadlines are all here, but at least with that comes Halloween celebrations that might at least distract you from the weekly breakdown.

Open Letters, Hyde Park Book Club, Monday 23rd October

From 8:00 pm until 10:00 pm, The Hyde Park Book Club will be hosting an Open Letter night where anonymous letters have been sent in and will be read aloud at an open mic night. They might be fiction, they might be real. It could be a murder confession by your next door neighbour, or it might be a love confession for your Monday lecturer that you send in a couple of weeks ago – either way it’s going to be read aloud. It’s free, but you have to be 18 or older because you never know what’s going to be sent in.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZQ_jMflnQZ/?taken-by=hydeparkbookclub

Blood, Guts and Ghosts, Royal Amouries, October 24th – 1st November

For those seeking ghosts or wanting to carve pumpkins and take part in an animation workshop, this is your chance to start getting into the Halloween spirit.

Mammal Hands, Belgrave Music Hall, Tuesday 24th

Tickets are £11.00 and the event starts at 7:30 pm until 11:00 pm. “The semi-classical drums/sax/piano trio Mammal Hands mutate into a high-volume rave act” The Guardian.

Konvict Kartel with Akon, O2 Academy Leeds, Wednesday 25th

From 7:00 pm to 11:00 pm, Konvict Kartel will be playing alongside Akon, Tre Carter,  Tone Tone and Og Boo Dirty at the O2 Academy as part of the Konvict Kartel tour. Tickets are £25.50.

The Old Workhouse Ghost Hunt, Thackray Medical Museum, Friday 27th

On October 27th and November 4th, the former East Leeds hospital will be hosting a ghost hunt for those seeking the notorious sightings of ghosts and reports of footsteps and bangs. They’ll also be having a horror film screening on the Saturday.

Pendle Witch Documentary, Heart Centre Headingly, October 27th

To truly get into the spirit of Halloween, the documentary is about a woman who is locked in The Witches’ Tower at Lancaster Castle in 1636.

Leeds American Whiskey Fest, Leeds Corn Exchange, Saturday 28th

‘This is a first for Leeds – the city’s inaugural American Whiskey Fest is taking over Leeds Corn Exchange this October. Two local bartenders have returned from their summers in Louisville, Kentucky and decided to celebrate one of the UK’s most popular spirits. Brands from all over the US will be making their way to Leeds with whiskies to sample, as well as hosting in-depth whiskey masterclasses. There’ll be a bar where you can pick up a wee dram or try a whiskey-based cocktail, and you can soak it all up with American street food.’

Jimmy Carr, Leeds Town Hall, 29th October

‘Jimmy Carr is delving into his little black book of comedy this October. He’s performing at Leeds Town Hall on his The Best of, Ultimate, Gold, Greatest Hits Tour. The 8 Out of 10 Cats host will perform his most iconic routines from a 15-year stand-up career, which has seen him play more than 2,000 shows to over 2 million people across nine tours in that time. Perfect chance for a bit of a retrospective then.’