Meet your Leeds Varsity 2017 captains

Beckett won’t know what hit them

Last year we beat Beckett in the Rugby match but this year do we have what it takes to win overall? I think we do, but you'll have to come to your own conclusion. Here's your captains that will hopefully make this possible.

Georgina Spencer, Women's Rugby

Georgine Spencer, Geology student

Georgine Spencer, Geology student

What made you want to play Rugby?

I joined rugby in my first year as a refresher, the girls were absolute bants both at training and on socials. They were definitely the reason I kept coming back. Then in my second year I really started to progress and played on most Wednesdays. It definitely developed me as a person, people noticed that I was a lot more confident and motivated to take on new challenges, such as being captain of a bunch of nutters.

What makes you the best team on campus?

I think there’s something for everyone in rugby, whether you want to play at a high standard, just keep fit, or to have a banging night out. We have such a variety of girls in this club, and we’re definitely not the stereotype some people think we are.

The great thing about our team is, we all support each other on and off the pitch. We pride ourselves on our ability to look past the scoreline and focus on positives of the match.

Who do you think, out of your teammates, will stand out on the big day?

Obvs me, nah just kidding. That’s tough actually, a lot of our girls have impressed at preseason. I feel like this question would put a lot of pressure on someone, so I’m going to say Quinn, she’s definitely one of the most enthusiastic players.

Finally, when you're not training or competing where do you like to go clubbing?

Depends which night of the week it is…? I’d tell you my weekly timetable but if our coach read this, he wouldn’t be very impressed.

Jonny House, Men's Rugby

Jonny House, Politics and Economics student

What made you want to play Rugby?

I've always wanted to play rugby, and was inspired by Jonny wilkinson in 2003 rugby World Cup!

What makes you the best team on campus?

We are the best team on campus because we play at a extremely high level, and buy into the 'one big gryphon' ethos.

As a team we will work together, but our new lad charlie should have a good game!

I'm not or a clubber, I much prefer a few pints at the pub (Park Pub or Packhorse)!

Lara Knowles, Women's Hockey Captain

Lara Knowles, Medic Student

Lara Knowles, Medic Student

What made you want to play Hockey?

When I was younger I was too small to get on the netball team so decided to play hockey instead, the rest is history.

What makes you the best team at uni?

We are the best team because we're part of a massive club with over 300 members , we play two games a week and have just been promoted into the north premiership league on a Saturday. We love a good night out and we also do our bit for charity as well.

Who do you think, out of your teammates, will stand out on the big day

Georgia Harris (spit) and Katie Hopkisson will both be strong in the mid, expect goals from Martha Hayes and a solid performance from fresher Kye.

Finally, when you’re not training or competing where do you like to go clubbing?

Tiger tiger Wednesday for a hockey night, hifi and fruity are all top nights.

Abdulaziz Adekola, Men's Basketball

Abdulaziz Adekola, Law student

Abdulaziz Adekola, Law student

What made you want to play Basketball?

I started playing basketball because it was indoors rather than outdoors like football, football matches in December stopped them being fun.

What makes you the best team at uni?

We've probably got some of the most competitive guys at Leeds uni on our team. We had no real coaching staff and we still secured a promotion to the big boy league. We never think we're going to lose.

I'm going to put my name in the mix because I love playing against my former team mates and being from Leeds a lot of them go to Beckett. Also Stathis, one of our second year players has come into this season looking very good. Also Baile and Peter, a pair of third years, look like they're ready to play this season.

You ever been to Clarks? Last Thursday of the month. If you don't know, now you do.

Alice Craft, Women's Basketball

Alice Craft, International History and Politics student.

What made you want to play Basketball?

I have played and loved basketball since I was about 14 , I love the energy that it gives you and forming close, family-like relationships with your team mates!

What makes you the best team at uni?

We are the best team at uni because we work hard for our wins and support each other to no end ! I'm really excited about our new players joining this year.

Carlie Abbott and Lea Drogge will be debuting at Varsity and I already feel they have great chemistry together on court!

You can see us in players and warehouse pretty much every single Wednesday night and Varsity Fruity to hopefully celebrate our win!

Vicky Palin, Women's Football

Vicky Palin, Medic Student

Vicky Palin, Medic Student

What made you want to play football?

I have played football since I was very young and it was more that I wanted to join in with my big brother and the boys at school!

What makes you the best team at uni?

Women's football is the best team at uni! We are the best group of girls around and the club had such a friendly atmosphere! We are also very successful winning the northern 1a league twice in a row!

We have a strong all round squad however Beckett also have a good team. That means our goalkeeper Beth Davies will have chance to shine on the day being such an amazing shot stopper.

When not training I love a Friday night at fruity (sorry not sorry).

Justin Brown, Men's Hockey Captain

Justin Brown, Dentistry Student

Justin Brown, Dentistry Student

What made you want to play Hockey?

I tried it and was good at it.

What makes you the best team at uni?

6 men’s teams 8 women’s teams, that’s a good ratio for Wednesday nights.

Cypriot international keeper, Savvas, but they won’t get anywhere near him.

Fruity.