I hate to break it to you, but law school is nothing like Legally Blonde

Although you may come across someone with a name like Warner Huntington III

I'd never tell a future employer, but films like Legally Blonde and TV Shows like Suits were a big part of the reason I wanted to study law. They make it sound so glamorous and dramatic, and although at times it can be interesting, the reality is that law is no different from any other degree.

Nobody turns up to lectures in suits and expensive jewellery

We might have chosen to study law, but we're still students, and the thought of walking to a 9 am lecture is enough to make us want to cry. We'll rock up in a baggy jumper and leggings, or jeans if we're feeling like putting in a bit of extra effort, but office-wear is nowhere to be seen. Let's be honest, our lecturers don't care what we're wearing, provided we're awake and vaguely paying attention.

Will be wearing a suit my whole life, might as well wear leggings now

Your lecturer won't give you an internship for speaking up in class

For starters, a long term internship in a law firm for first years is pretty much unheard of. Secondly, it would be impossible for someone to lecture and run a law firm at the same time – everyone knows lawyers work 100 hour weeks. Finally, when it comes to actually getting a summer internship you have to jump through so many hoops, it's probably more difficult than becoming Prime Minister at this point.

There aren't masters students hanging around to help you every time you mess up

The romance between Elle and Emmett is one of the most unexpected and heartwarming parts of the film (it seems nice guys can finish first), but the reason he manages to win her over is nothing to do with his flirting technique or flowing locks, he just gives great advice. I'm sure we all wish we had someone there to tell us exactly how to get on the good side of each seminar tutor and ace every exam, but alas, we just have to learn through trial and error.

Lecturers don't know everyone by name

Unless you're a try-hard who attends office hours every week, the lecturers aren't going to know who you are. Even if they made every effort it would be impossible to learn over 300 names. This is great because we can't be called on to answer questions by name, yet not so great because they it means won't give you a pep talk in the salon when you're thinking of dropping out.

We aren't so competitive that we'd sabotage each other to get to the top

Okay, so maybe there are a few; those annoying students who stop the lecturer to ask over-complicated questions, and post revision in the group chat at 1am purely to make everyone else feel bad for going out drinking instead of doing work. But those people are in the minority, and in general law students are a really friendly bunch. After all, law is a career founded on networking, and you aren't going to get anywhere if you act like a stuck-up arsehole

You aren't going to get to represent a celebrity in court

Okay, so I get that the ending of Legally Blonde is really cool and you're supposed to suspend your disbelief a little, but there's no way in hell you'd be qualified to represent someone in court when you first start out, let alone in a high profile murder case. Even if you were allowed to do it (which you wouldn't be, just to clarify) you'd most likely make a total fool of yourself and your client would get sent down for life. I don't care how good you think you are, it takes years of experience to get to that level.

You won't gain marks for cool one liners

As much as "ammonium thioglycolate" and "what, like it's hard?" make Legally Blonde the iconic movie it is, they won't help you to get a first in the real world. The law is all about facts, statutes and cases, and to be honest the coolest thing you'll probably get the chance to tell non-lawyers is that you can sue someone all because an old woman once drank out of a bottle with a snail stuck inside of it.

There aren't any creepy lecturers like Mr Callahan

Thank God.