Inside Leeds’ independent fashion scene

Independent Leeds is bigger and better than you ever imagined

Scattered across Leeds are a range of independent fashion stores, which have everything you could ever want in an outfit. Maybe you need some sparkle for Backroom, a new jacket for Edgy B or some vintage pieces for Interrailing this summer. Either way, you will find everything you want and more in these hidden stores across the city. If you are new to independent and vintage shopping, then keep scrolling, as we reveal the best places to go below:

Twit-Woo Vintage

If you love the diversity, sustainability and originality of vintage clothing, Twit-Woo Vintage is the place to go. This boutique in the Corn Exchange is perfect if you want to interpret some vintage vibes into your outfit. Even though Twit-Woo sells pieces for any occasion, it is the best place to look for your graduation outfit, or your next Leeds Ball dress (if you can get a ticket).

Above outfits from Twit-Woo Vintage

Blue Rinse

Independent fashion shopping in Leeds all about finding a piece which you know nobody else will have, and Blue Rinse is where you can find just that. Situated on Call Lane, Blue Rinse is the ultimate edgy Leeds stop, with four floors of jackets, jeans, dresses and sweaters. Be adventurous and buy that Skoda jacket (yes, really), you will be the only person on campus with it.

We spoke to Dom Hadley, a fashion blogger in Leeds, for his tips on independent shopping and find out why it is on the rise in Leeds.

What is so special about the independent fashion scene in Leeds?

What I think is so special about the independent fashion scene in Leeds is that these stores don’t follow the popular trends unlike the high street fashion stores like Topman and Zara etc. These stores all share a variety of unique products and styles. This means when you’re wearing one of their pieces, it can be seen as a statement. You aren’t just copying the current trend. Leeds is the only place where you can find a Korean brand and T-shirts from the brand, which is outstanding as there’s only 50 of those T-shirts in the world! The Leeds store MKI is also the first and only of its kind in the whole of the UK.

What would you suggest to someone who wants to try out independent fashion but does not know where to start?

For someone who doesn’t know where to start, I’d honestly recommend my YouTube video on my channel ‘Payday Pickups’. In this video, I showcase 8 different stores around Leeds, I show what pieces and brands they sell within the stores, the prices of products and where the stores are located. Watching this video may spark an interest towards one of the stores, therefore the individual can visit the chosen store and hopefully find some pieces which picks their fancy.

Why is the independent fashion scene perfect for students?

Leeds fashion scene if perfect for students because of the huge variety of styles within these independent fashion stores. We have high end fashion stores like MKI, then skate fashion stores such as Welcome and vintage garments stores like Best and Blue Rinse. This allows Leeds to be a city which can compensate for everyone’s fashion tastes and allows individuals to express their personalities in the way they dress.

Outfits from Blue Rinse

Do you have any tips on making independent fashion/ vintage fashion work for you?

Personally my preferred style is vintage fashion, so I choose stores such as Best, Blue Rinse, Pop Boutique & Ryan’s Vintage. I love the fact that vintage pieces are rare and unique, therefore it is unlikely that someone is going to be the same piece of clothing as you. For others, I would say that it is dependent upon your fashion taste and your clothing budget. For a higher budget, visit stores like MKI and Welcome, however on the lower budget I would recommend visiting the vintage stores mentioned before. Another tip is that vintage fashion is absolutely huge in Leeds, therefore you can easily pick up inspiration and influences from many of the students at Leeds University. You’re bound to see a vintage sweatshirt, baggy jeans and Reebok classics, or a Puffa coat, culottes and Adidas Superstars.

Give independent and vintage fashion a try, as these stores are the real reason why Leeds garms are so wavey and the parties are so glittery.

Check out Dom’s Payday Pickup’s here.