We spoke to the organisers of the protest in Leeds against the Tory/DUP coalition

It’s at 2:30pm on the 17th of June

Hide Images

For everybody in Leeds who stands against the new Tory/DUP partnership, your chance is coming to publicly voice your opinions on the effects of the recent snap election. A peaceful demonstration against Theresa May’s coalition is set to take place outside Leeds Art Gallery on the 17th June at 2:30pm. We spoke to the demonstration organiser, Kris Chilcott, to find out why this protest is important to Leeds and how the partnership may affect you.

Why do you think it is important for the people of Leeds to come together at a time like this?

“Personally I think it is so important for Leeds to stand together at a time like this to show that although the majority of Leeds voted Labour and we lost, we have not lost our voice and will continue to fight against the inequalities the Conservatives and the DUP encourage. Also I think it’s important that we hold this protest to show our solidarity with the LGBT+ community and other cultures from around the world who chose to live here to show we are against all forms of racism and terrorism and that we believe in rights for women and yes, we believe in global warming.”

“It is crucial we unite and spread this message due to now having a government that is against our own basic human rights, our privacy and our need for the freedom to be who we desire to be. We need to show that our government is not representative of our views.”

Do you think the power of young voters in particular has had an impact on the election?

“Definitely. Corbyn was only 2,200 votes away from becoming Prime Minister and in most places they had over a 70% turnout which is absolutely incredible. Corbyn is the first politician in a long time to spark passion for politics in young people, he got so many students and young people in those polling stations and the proof is represented in the results. He also got a higher swing than Tony Blair, which can show how much faith the voters now have in him, regardless of media influence.”

Despite not winning, Jeremy Corbyn’s has been successful in preventing Theresa May from forming a government

What would you suggest to someone who wants to come to the demonstration but is unsure?

“Just come. There is truly nothing to be afraid of. The vast majority of protests, especially the one we are having, will be non aggressive, child friendly and peaceful. It’s a brilliant time to express your views with people, it’s a chance to learn a lot more about politics and you will most likely go away from it with such a warm feeling of unity and belonging in an accepting community.”

“You can arrive and leave when you please, you can choose to talk to whoever you want to talk to – you are in complete control and it’s wonderful being around people who hold similar opinions as yourself. Even I struggle with crowds of people, but I want to try overcome my fears and just get out there to say what I need to say and do what is required to promote a better standard of living in the UK.”

What do you think the most important aspect of this demonstration is?

“I think the most important aspect is the message. We have a voice and we will use it. We do not agree with the DUP and we do not want them to be representative of our views as a nation and we stand with everyone that the DUP actively try to discriminate.”

Similarly, organiser Grace Metcalfe added her thoughts on the event. “I think the most poignant purpose of this protest, for me anyway, is to show our community, our city and the rest of the UK that the DUP’s homophobic, racist and sexist ideologies do not resonate with us. We are so immensely proud of our LGBT community and will support them in anyway we can. We cannot wait to give over our city centre to them for Pride Weekend at the beginning of August to celebrate and educate others on the history of oppression the entire community has faced and is still facing today.”

She added, “We are proud that women have the freedom to choose what they do with their bodies, rather than being forced into lifestyles that are outdated. We are peaceful and we wish to have a government that reflects this very important value. We will fight for equality. And we will not succumb to nor accept their discriminating and oppressive attitude towards minorities.”

To find out more about the demonstration, you can visit the event page on Facebook.