Everything I learnt as a fresher at Leeds that I probably should have known already

Not everyone is your best friend

Freshers is a scary experience for anyone. Before arriving at uni you anticipate the type of people you’ll meet, who will become you new best friend, what the nightlife will be like and how late you can stay out now your parents are no longer waiting for you at home. No matter how many tips people tell you, and how prepared you think you are, when it gets to freshers week you undoubtedly will become a deer caught in the headlights. But there are still some things that will hopefully sink in before you arrive.

The good club nights from the bad ones

Freshers would have definitely been a better experience if we’d known the good club nights from the bad ones before uni. But, let’s be honest, those first few awkward freshers nights are hilarious. Freshers wouldn’t have been the same without the appearance of Tinchy Stryder and Big Narstie at the union. Just know, you probably won’t go back to most of the clubs from freshers – don’t worry, the Leeds nightlife is actually good.

Everyone is your best friend in freshers

There is always a ‘freshers feel’ in the first few weeks of uni. A ‘happy go lucky’ vibe is central to campus, introducing yourself to each and every person, waving, smiling, trying to remember the hundreds of names you are introduced to. Take advantage of this while it lasts. Learn everyone’s names quickly to avoid the awkward week 4 stage, passing someone on the stairs who you know you met, but still dodge anyway to avoid the embarrassment of not knowing their name.

Invest in some ‘edgy’ vintage sportswear

Now we all know there is a stereotypical ‘edgy’ Leeds dress. Well, it is kind of accurate. Walk around campus and every other person is probably wearing something adidas, ellesse or hilfiger. Now this is not to say you need to change your style, not at all, wear whatever you want to wear. But, if you’re anything like the majority of campus, your style may change accordingly and by Christmas your parents probably won’t recognise you, waltzing off the train in hareem pants, 1/4 zip fleece and a puffa jacket that blew a bit too much of your loan than you’d like to admit.

Yes, ashamed to say that is the “super edgy,” “one of a kind” green puffa that everyone has

To stock up on glitter, glitter and more glitter

Glitter is one defining feature of some Leeds clubs. Catch sight of anyone at Beaver Works or Canal Mills and their face will be loaded with sequins and glitter, blinding everyone as they walk by. Investing in some glitter is a right of passage at Leeds, you honestly will not regret it.

Still not convinced we were sparkly enough to be honest

At least try to learn how to budget

Everyone tries and fails at this one. Budgeting is probably something most people aren’t entirely familiar with before uni, or at least not to the extent you need to be. Just try and make sure you resist buying those 5 extra jagerbombs in order to be able to buy yourself some sort of food for the week. Otherwise, by Christmas you’ll be £500 into your overdraft, hoping that not all that money went on nights out.

The steps by Roger Stevens are harder than you think

A simple set of stairs, what could be so bad about that? Well, do not underestimate just how high and steep the Roger Stevens steps are. Give them at least 5 minutes preparation before going up them, ten on a hot day. The mental preparation that goes into tackling these stairs is needed, trust me.

First year doesn’t count

You’re at uni, everything is set out different to school. New types of lectures, seminars and this will make you want to try so hard in first year. This will last maybe the first 3 / 4 weeks (if you’re especially motivated) and after this you will slowly be consumed by the drunken and hungover uni state. But do not worry. Keep remembering first year doesn’t count. 40% is all you need.

Food becomes a strain

Coming to Uni is probably one of the first times you have to cook for yourself on a regular basis. At first there will be the want and need to cook gourmet meals every night, showing off to yourself that you can do this. However, food will soon be sacrificed to be able to buy alcohol and clothes. It’s okay, living off pot noodles and beans on toast really isn’t as bad as it may seem.

Photos by: Daniel Watson