Leeds University has made over £200,000 in library fines over the last three years

They charge you £2.50 a day

The University of Leeds has collected over £211,000 in library fines from overdue books over the past three years alone, according to the Yorkshire Post. While universities across Yorkshire  have obtained more than £600,000 in fines during the same time period, Leeds University was by far the highest. Leeds Beckett followed this total with nearly £150,000. Sheffield Hallam came third after acquiring £103,539.

The University of Sheffield was not included in this figure because they decided to scrap library fees in 2014. Lucky for some.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQGxgsHgEqx/?taken-at=280543573&hl=en

Thankfully though, Leeds do only fine when the book has been recalled and it’s returned late, whereas at other universities they fine as soon as the book is overdue. Leeds still fine you £2.50 a day though.

A spokesperson for the university declared that: “The university has five libraries and nearly 33,000 students, so our size is a factor in any comparison of library fines, and all our fines are invested back into our libraries.”