LUU are organising a march against the government’s Higher Education plans

Who doesn’t love a good protest?

Hide Images

Leeds University Union’s exec are organising a march to disrupt the University’s Senate, a committee made up of staff and students in charge of academic governance. The march’s aim is to urge the University and the Vice-Chancellor to continue to oppose the government’s Higher Education and Research Bill, which is seen as an opportunity for the government to increase tuition fees through the introduction of the Teaching Excellence Framework.

Before they protest the meeting of the Senate, the exec are trying to get as many signatures on their petition to the Vice-Chancellor as possible, so the University understands how many students are opposed to the Bill. They will then present this petition as part of their march on Wednesday.

Melissa Owusu Education Officer at Leeds University Union said, “The government are pursuing a road towards marketizing our Higher Education system, and we need to do everything that we can to influence and halt this change. A marketised system means less academic freedom, less social mobility and higher fees for whatever is seen as the best “quality” education. It is imperative that we act, and strategically demonstrate our collective resistance to create long lasting change within our institution and the Higher Education system more broadly.”

Disrupt Senate

It's time to #DisruptSenate

Posted by Leeds University Union on Friday, March 17, 2017

The Union voted last week to not support the NUS’s boycott of the National Student Survey which is set to be linked to the tuition fee rises, they have been campaigning against the government’s plans in other ways such as gathering Leeds students to joining a National Demonstration in London, lobbying at the House of Lords and signing a joint statement with the Vice Chancellor in solidarity against a number of the most harmful policies to come out of the Higher Education and Research Bill.

The march to disrupt the Senate is set to take place at 1pm on Wednesday the 22nd of March, you can find out more about the event here.

You can also sign the Union’s petition to the vice-chancellor here.