LUU campaign video season is well and truly underway with this ‘Fresh Prince’ tribute

Now this is a story all about how Zak’s running for Education

The LUU Elections is nobody’s favourite time of year: campus is littered with bad puns and terrible slogans for so long that you start to forget what campus looked like when it wasn’t plastered head to toe with the face of some smug, grinning third year who’s only running so they can get an extension of their dissertation deadline. There is a silver lining, however, which comes in the form of some pretty impressive campaign videos. No one can forget Melz’ Stormzy “Shut Up” cover of 2016 – so good it was viewed over 40,000 times. And hopefully this year will bring us something good enough to rival even that, maybe. If the first video’s anything to go by though, 2017 is not going to be a good year.

Zak Kaf Al-Ghazal, in a nod to everyone’s childhood, has revealed his campaign video, which is none other than a cover of the theme tune to The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. The 90s was a pretty good era; it brought us Britney, Friends, a young, totally gorgeous Leonardo DiCaprio, and, of course, the Spice Girls. The undeniable best thing to come out of the 90s? The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, in all it’s young Will Smith hotness. And let’s not forget the Carlton dance. Seriously, what can be better than the Carlton dance?

Zak’s video could have been good. It could have been so, so good. Unfortunately, it’s not. The camera skills are quite good I guess, the lyrics are pretty interesting and fresh, and it is definitely original. That’s about as good as it gets though. It’s out of time, out of tune, and his rapping skills leave a LOT to be desired. In one short, 1:15 video, Zak successfully destroys our childhood. Not even the Carlton dance would have been enough to save this.