Leeds dental lecturer ‘overheard having sex while a student grieved next door’

The hearing continues

Dr Alec High, a University of Leeds academic, has been accused of repeatedly engaging in sexual activity in his office on university property despite numerous warnings over his misconduct in a hearing yesterday. He joined the University in 1981, teaching undergraduate and postgraduate students.

At least four members of university staff have admitted to the General Dental Council’s practice committee that they heard Dr High’s dalliances as they occurred, and even spied several of his partners entering his office.

It is even alleged that a colleague of Dr High’s overheard one his these sexual encounters from an adjacent office, as she was attempting to console a student that had recently lost their grandmother.

Tom Coke-Smyth spoke on behalf of the GDC, and told the committee: “During the appointment, she began to hear the loud noise of what was clear was two people having sex. This occasion was particularly serious as she was dealing with an upset student who had suddenly lost her grandmother, whose family was abroad and unable to return home for a funeral.”

Leeds Dental Institute

Dr High was charged with repeatedly engaging in sexual activity between January 1st, 2013 and March 11th, 2015, and once more between 2 and 3 pm on March 12th, 2015. The Committee was told that even after a senior colleague told him that his behaviour was unacceptable, the academic continued. He is also accused of unprofessional conduct, and of providing a false account of his whereabouts on March 12th, 2015.

Allegedly, Dr High lied to a university committee investigating his endeavours, and attempted to convince staff that he was covering for a colleague at St James’ Hospital at the time it was claimed he was having sex in his office. However, his PC, laptop and mobile phone were found connected and logged in at the Worsley Building, where his office, and the dental school his based. Apparently, when Dr High was told that his equipment would be checked, he became “increasingly agitated at the prospect” and complained that it was “completely unacceptable.”

Mr Coke-Smyth continued: “The result of these matters is that it is alleged that Dr High’s actions in engaging in sexual activity in his office were inappropriate and unprofessional.”

Dr High did not attend the hearing in central London.