Light café opens for Leeds University students drowning in revision

It’s running from the 9th of January to the 19th

As January is an accepted low point in the academic year for students, you now have the option to study in an ‘alternative revision space’ created to ease the stress of exams and improve your general well-being. Lumie lights are a significant feature of the café, and will also be utilised in yoga and meditation workshops that are part of the experience. The café is now in its third year and promises to deliver a respite from revision stress.

The special lights will be available in revision and relaxation rooms, stimulating the brain to produce a number of hormones that positively affect your mood and even help you feel more alert. It could be especially helpful for those of us who suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) or struggle in the winter months from the lack of light. Generally, it only takes 30-60 minutes to appreciate the benefits of the lights, and it doesn’t even have to be in a single sitting. A 2015 report highlighted the distress students face at this time of year, illustrating the increase in mental health problems from 8,000 people to 18,000 in just four years.

Jess Reed, the Student Welfare Officer for the Leeds University Union, disclosed that: “Well-being is a priority here at Leeds University Union, something that we’re particularly conscious of this time of year with the stress of exams and assignments on top of other worries this time of year. With an increase in students accessing support for their mental health, we’re excited to be able to provide the Lumie light space again to give students a safe space in which to promote their well-being.”

So, if you’re struggling with exams and need some stress-relief, or just require some extra light in these dreary winter months, the Lumie light café is certainly an option worth considering.