This is what YouGov thinks you’ll be like after you leave Leeds

Spoiler: they’re wrong

The international market research firm YouGov make it their business to collect tonnes of data on consumers, which helps them build up pictures of people based on their lifestyle choices, including what university they went to.

Their website claims that it can ‘show what is particularly true of people who went to University of Leeds compared with other people of the same type’. Sounds legit, but some of their ideas about what Leeds grads are into might sound weirdly  foreign to those of us studying of  at the Uni right now.

What YouGov thinks you’ll look like one day

Politics, professions and personality

Politically, Leeds alumni find themselves on the left of the spectrum which means that unlike most other students who will inevitably grow up to be Tory cranks from the home counties, we’ll never  lose our revolutionary socialist zeal, even once we get a job and find out about taxes.

And what will those jobs be? YouGov says we’ll either end up getting a swanky job in the city, or shun the financial sector to work for the government’s civil service. They’ve obviously got this one wrong though, because most Leeds students want to produce Norwegian soft-techno in an underground basement for a living.

Personality-wise, YouGov confirms that everyone at Leeds is basically lovely. You know, the type of lovely people who would describe themselves as ‘dependable’, ‘communicative’ and ‘competent’, but also humble enough to admit that sometimes we’re ‘lacking self-confidence’, ‘restless’ and ‘messy’.

Apparently, we’re also more likely to identify with the following incredibly random statement:

“A wedding should be a large celebration with lots of people”.

What you actually look like

Favourite dishes and hobbies

We Yorkshire-men (and women) have simple tastes. We’ve got no time for the decadent delicacies they consume in the South, like sushi, whatever that is. According to YouGov, we like to eat Garlic Bread (try not to read that in a crap Yorkshire accent), Ham, eggs and chips, and sometimes croissants if we’re feeling a bit continental.

And what will does your average Leeds student decide to do for fun once they’re too old to bust a move on the hallowed dance-floors of Fruity and Canal Mills? YouGov says once we’ve left uni our top hobbies will include reading, going to museums and galleries, and driving. Seriously, how miserable does your life have to be for you to list driving as an actual hobby?

Clothing brands and groceries 

Their research suggests the preferred clothing brands of people who go went to Leeds are Levis, M&S and Clarks. Levis jeans are timeless, and one can reasonably assume clothes bought from latter two brands are worn ironically.

The foodies among you can put those bourgeoise dreams of having enough cash to do your weekly shop at Waitrose to rest. YouGov says we’ll be sticking to better value-for-money options like Aldi and Morrisons, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Entertainment

It’s here the YouGov data goes fully rogue. There must have been some kind of methodological  error, or problem with the sampling, because nobody, absolutely nobody,  lists Sophie Ellis-Bextor as their favourite musician, let a lone alumni from an esteemed establishment famed for its impeccable music taste.

No offence Sophie Ellis B, ILY really

At least our favourite TV shows don’t change: Great British Bake-Off, The Apprentice…oh wait a minute, Coronation Street? No YouGov, who even are you?!