I sat down with Leeds’ biggest heart-throb: Akmal of Akmal’s

The man, the myth, the curry house owner, the legend

Whichever course you may study, whichever road you may live on, if you call yourself a Leeds student, you’ve undoubtedly heard of Akmal’s Tandoori Bistro.

Every evening, as the darkness falls over Hyde Park, Akaml’s neon blue and red lights beam through the skies. Visitors often assume it’s a student nightclub, an oddly placed bar or just another curry house.

Its B.Y.O.B. policy and location bang in the middle of the student district make it the go-to hotspot for socials and birthday parties. All Leeds students reserve a special place in their hearts for Akmal’s and its renowned owner and host.

The man, the myth, the curry house owner, the legend – Sir Akmal himself.

Greeting every customer at the door he is most recognisable for his cheesy grin, witty humour and Bluetooth headset.

I sat down with this Hyde Park celebrity to put the rumours to rest, and find out what its like to own a student-friendly Indian restaurant.

Is your name actually Akmal?

Okay you know what, no, not me personally – but you’ve got to go along with the myth, it’s all part of the service.

(‘Akmal’ did confidentially reveal his real name to me, but asked that the public keep referring to him as Akmal).

Is it true that Akmal’s was once the Hyde Park public toilet?

No, let’s put that right too. The myth is the myth. You go along with the myth that it used to be a toilet – but in actual fact it was a cricket pavilion.

I’ll tell you how ridiculous the myth got. Many years ago Channel 4 called me saying they were doing a documentary on places that used to be toilets that had been converted to other things. So they rang me up, and I played along with them as a joke.

It got to the point where they had scheduled to come up with a film crew. Then I thought, I’ve taken this too far. But I still go along with the myth to the students.

Where did the myth start?

It just happened, its been going since day one. You’ve got to just go with it to keep people happy. But when they ask you seriously – then you tell them.

Why B.Y.O.B?

We always had the licence but we never utilised it. Then when we finally opened the bar, I thought to myself, people have been bringing their own alcohol for nearly four years…if I suddenly said, “no, you’re going to buy”, it would just feel wrong.

It was purely from a principle point of view, and people thought that was brilliant.

What’s the ratio of students to locals?

I would say 30:70 to students.

What’s your favourite type of student customer?

Before they become freshers, and they’re just looking at Leeds as a potential university with their parents – that’s the best. Then it’s not just the students, it’s the parents and the families. They come two to three times per year, to drop the kids off and pick them back up.

Of course the birthdays, group dinners and everything are great. The best bit is seeing a total idiot knobhead fresher over the years, then it’s their graduation and you just think – god help us.

What’s your favourite society?

They’re all great!

For some reason, the medics absolutely love it here. Over the last five years I’ve never been into a hospital where I haven’t known a doctor or a specialist or a whatever, and someone yells “Akmal!”

When I see the medics go from freshers to graduates I really think – god help the NHS.

Stage musical society is also very good – they’ve been coming for yonks and yonks.

What’s the biggest booking you’ve had?

Just last week we had two back-to-back bookings of 100, and we’ve only got 100 seats. It was the medics again.

How often are curries sent back because they’re too hot?

They never send it back, if they tell me it’s too hot, I get something for them. I say “do you want me to kill it, Blue Peter” then I do, and they say that’s magic, how do you do that.

Do you ever have to kick out drunken students?

From that perspective they’re brilliant – I swear.

It’s so rare it’s not even a percentage. Sometimes I just say “Don’t be a dickhead” and after that they know. They’re very good like that – touch wood.