Larry Lamb is the man our nation needs right now

He has, quite probably, the most lovable face on the planet

The world is a dark place right now. Both literally because it gets dark at 4pm, and figuratively. Brexit, Trump, the slow but crushing failure of capitalism, no one under the age of 35 can afford to buy a house and Sainsbury’s meal deals no longer include the Taste the Difference sandwich. I can taste the difference and the difference is this: 2016 is shit. Then came along Larry Lamb.

In the grand scheme of reality shows, I’m A Celebrity was never really on my radar. Like a fool, I was enticed by the drama of Made In Chelsea, the idiots of The Apprentice and the shock of Geordie Shore. Little did I know what I was missing out on, when those glistening eyes came into my life and Larry descended on weeknight television.

For those of you who do not realise the magnitude of the God we are witnessing on this earth, let me explain to you the true joy that is Mr Lamb.

Larry Lamb starred as the Dad you’ve always wanted in Gavin and Stacey and the villain you love to hate in Eastenders. He has, quite probably, the most lovable face on the planet, rivalled only by Golden Retrievers catching bones and cute babies giggling, he is just pure happiness.

Swooping in on Sunday night, he saved Scarlett Moffat, some gal from Gogglebox, after she capsized in her canoe. He then opened up to Adam Thomas – a “celeb” who is simply a placeholder for facilitating wonderful Lamb interactions – about his daughter he hasn’t seen in 46 years, saying he still thinks about her sometimes. Honestly, the way he said he “still thinks about her” should be the entirety of the 2017 John Lewis advert.

At the end of the day, Larry Lamb is the man we all need in these bleak and dismal times.

As our world looks set on imploding at the hands of a man who can’t restrain himself on Twitter, let alone in foreign relations, Larry Lamb is there.When our own country is so bitterly divided on a vote no one seems to understand much about Larry Lamb will hold your hand.

When you wake up in the morning and realise you are behind in every single module, haven’t exercised in four weeks and can barely muster the motivation to get in for a seminar at 3pm before traipsing home, just remember, Larry doesn’t judge. He’d probably make you a cup of tea, stroke your hair and bring out the secret biscuits he keeps in the back for “days like these”. He’s just that kinda guy.

So thank you, Larry Lamb, for being the best thing to happen to 2016. Please, for the love of God, don’t die.