LUU are running coaches to the United for Education Demo in London on Saturday

They’re subsidising the costs too

Studying for an Arts degree? You’re lucky. You might be one of the last.

A lot of changes have been made/are planned to be made towards university degrees in recent months, particularly Arts degrees. As a result, a National Demo has been arranged in London for this Saturday (19th November), and LUU are subsidising the costs of coaches to get people there and back.

The uproar of students began when the government announced that they will give power to profit-making private companies to create universities and awards degrees. This marketisation of education means that Arts degrees will become less “valuable” because of the lower job prospects following uni, and are at risk of being scrapped.

Here’s a few more of the government’s proposed changes to higher education:

Tuition fees are raising from 2017, which will impact current students as well as new starters.

Fees could hit £12,000 a year by 2026.

Maintenance grants and NHS  bursaries are being slashed, leaving the poorest students with the most debt.

Brexit has caused massive uncertainty in many areas, including education – research funding and study abroad programmes are all at risk, to name a few.

https://www.instagram.com/p/wSJfuPCFuY/?tagged=educationprotest&hl=en

The NUS, the UCU and students from across the country are meeting at 12pm at the north end of Park Lane in London on the 19th November, and buses are leaving from Parkinson steps at 7am (yeah, I know, it’s early. But it’s for a good cause right?).

Tickets are £10, but £5 is a deposit, and you get it back on the day. Worth it for a day trying to make sure education is for the masses, not just for the elite.