In four years, Leeds uni have tested on over 110,651 animals

Pigs, sheep, poultry and birds have been tested on

Between 2011-2015 there have been 110,651 animals used for research at the University of Leeds.

To put that in perspective, that is close to four times the number of students studying at the university today.

Among the animals tested are rats, mice, pigs, sheep, poultry and birds. 

Animal research is a controversial issue to say the least. An invaluable tool for some, but to others an unnecessary and cruel way to conduct research. 

Jenny Foggin, a spokesman for the university said: “The animals are used in research into how biological systems work both in health and disease; into the physiology and health of the animals themselves; and in the development of new medicines, treatments and technologies.

“Animal research is carried out only where no practicable alternative exists and under controls which keep suffering to a minimum.”

The university did not comment to how many deaths their research had caused.

To many of you 110,651 is a shocking figure, and it should be. However, Leeds has not come under scrutiny from animal rights groups as unis like Oxford and Edinburgh have. A list complied by the anti-vivisection organisation Cruelty Free International doesn’t even have Leeds in the top five. In comparison, Oxford used 226,739 animal subjects for research in 2014 alone. That’s more than eight times the number of animals used by Leeds that same year. Although this doesn’t excuse us, we’re clearly not the worst out there.

If you have any more queries regarding animal research, visit the understanding animal research website.

Find more information on PETA’s animal testing webpage. Be warned, the “Animal testing in 60 seconds” video contains graphic and distressing images.