Thousands of people are attending a Harambe vigil in Leeds

What a time to be alive

A candlelight vigil for the late murdered gorilla has been organised in Leeds and thousands of people have clicked attending on Facebook.

There are currently 1K people attending the vigil on Facebook, with a further 1.4K that have clicked “interested.”

The vigil will take place on October 28th in front of the Leeds Art Gallery on The Headrow.

The event description reads: “Harambe was sadly taken, but his heart still stays in all of us. This event is a candlelight vigil to remember him as a community. The gathering will take place in front of Leeds Art Gallery on Headrow for everyone to pay their respects 5 months later.”

Leeds based entrepreneur Matthew Walker originally organised the vigil with the intention of getting a small group of grievers to together to remember Harambe.

Matthew Walker set up the event

He told The Tab: “The group is blowing up. I wrote an open letter to Leeds City Council which and they responded in an amazing way, offering advice. I’ve now been speaking with the Leeds city council all day to arrange it properly. As it turns out it’s pretty much illegal without all the paper work.

“And I’m personally liable for deaths of I don’t get public liability insurance, first aid people, safeguarding policy etc. I’ve got till money to sort it all out and pay for things. If I can get the stuff with the council sorted I’m pretty much just going to fund the event from my business purely for the laugh. #harambe #rip.”

@aronkeller