Promoters tell us why freshers are the best on nights out

Because they’re so bloody mad, right

With A-Level results day finally out of the way, thousands of excited and nervous 18-year-olds up and down the country are frantically getting ready to head to uni.

And with freshers’ week being the best week of the calendar year, it’s not hard to understand why everyone is so excited. So, we spoke to club promoters to ask why freshers are the best people on a night out, and got some funny stories in the process.

Diop Evans, promoter

“The atmosphere is just so much better with freshers, everyone is excited, so many people are in awe. You can identify those who have just come out for the first time in their lives and are just blown away with all that’s going on. It’s just got a great buzz, and it’s a great vibe to be around.

“My first freshers night out was my first night out in general and I hadn’t been to a club before, so I didn’t know what to expect. Ten minutes in I was being snogged by a girl. I then tried it on with two others straight away, got completely pied off in front of a group of people, and had to take a seat.

“I’ve also seen where a fresher has kissed their first person since being at uni, ran around the club, slipped, dropped on the floor and carried about four others down with him.”

Charlie Lucy, VOODOO Events

“Freshers are care-free and keen for everything. They provide the most entertainment on a night out. I couldn’t tell you a specific story, I’m always way too wasted myself.”

Ryan Paul, Fuzzy Logic

“Freshers is that point of university where you’re given a hall pass for just about everything. Want to rock up to a club in a neon polka dot shirt? No problem! Want to get so drunk that you’re face down in last night’s maccies with your weird flatmate Hugo spooning you? No one cares!

“Freshers are the best kind of people because they have zero inhibitions, zero responsibilities, so rather than thinking about what they look like or how they look, they’re happily singing at the top of their lungs and cutting the most outrageous shapes. At least until their student loan runs out and they’re questioning their whole life.

“I actually have a story about another event manager, Paddy Mulcahy at No Curfew. Once he got so drunk at Fuzzy Logic, he came to see me mid-DJ set and I hadn’t realised he was behind me. Anyway, I turned around to see he was having a genuine conversation with the wall. And when I asked him what he was doing, he proclaimed that he thought he was talking to me.”

Rich Major, NoCurfew Events

“Freshers are new to university, up for a laugh, and wanting to meet new people.”

Callum Mitchell, Ark and Voodoo Wednesday’s at the Birdcage

“Freshers as first years are very anxious and eager to meet new people. Therefore, being in the opportunity to meet new people consequently makes them more sociable and approachable. If they are new to the area they go into the nightclub with a more open mind of the night and therefore are more likely to enjoy it.

“My best memory as a fresher was definitely partying with Jason Derulo at his after party in his hotel. I’ve also had an after party with Scotty T and Gaz from Geordie Shore, and I’ve been out with Jordan Weekender as well. Getting into the promo side of things helped me get closer to these people, especially because I was event manager, I was in close proximity to them.”

Jemma Allen, Vodbull UK

“Freshers are great because they haven’t yet been ruined by late nights in the library or 9ams. Everyone is so friendly in freshers’, everyone becomes your friend. They just drink with anyone and dance with whoever shows up. Nobody truly knows their limits and most go full-throttle which is both horrendous and hilarious. Once you get to third year you’re just haunted by deadlines, and stay inside drowning yourself in cheap wine. Freshers are the best!”

Photos: Ben Hale