24-year-old found guilty of murdering sex worker in Leeds

The attack took place in the city’s ‘managed red light area’

A jury took less than two hours to find a 24-year-old man guilty of murdering a sex worker in the controversial managed red light zone.

A jury of ten women and two men found Lewis Pierre guilty of murdering 21-year-old Daria Pionko in the Holbeck area of Leeds just days before Christmas.

After the verdict yesterday, Mr Justice Goss said: “He has previous convictions for offences of battery and robbery, he will obviously be sentenced to life imprisonment.”

The scene of the crime in Holbeck

Pierre, who placed his head in his hands when the jury gave their verdict, will be sentenced today.

The court heard previously that Polish Miss Pionko was left bloodied and battered in a secluded area after suffering multiple injuries to her face, head, neck and body.

During the five-day trial trial, Leeds Crown Court heard Pierre wore steel toecap boots to inflict injuries on the Polish sex worker.

The jury was told Pierre stole cash from Miss Pionko during the attack on December 22nd last year, before using it to buy himself a kebab and chips.

Murderer Lewis Pierre

A post mortem examination revealed she had suffered fractures to her nose and facial bones. She also suffered bruising to her brain and deep bruising and scratches to her face and upper body, the jury head during the trial.

They were told the scratches to her body indicated she was attacked while on the ground and injuries were “heavily suggestive” of Pierre using his feet in the attack.

Pierre had been working as a lorry driver’s mate for a distribution firm based in the area.

The court heard he had arrived for work earlier in the day with no money and completed his shift without having anything to eat or drink.

Forensic investigators at the crime scene

Ms Pionko had been living in the UK for 10 months before her death and her family believed she was working in bar.

Speaking during the trial, Kama Melly, QC, prosecuting, said the killing took place in a “managed red light area.”

She said: “It is an arrangement with Leeds City Council that within set hours during the night-time, within a very specific area, that is not a residential area, that neither the sex workers nor the customers who went there for sex would be arrested.”

A Safer Leeds spokesperson said after the verdict: “A further public consultation is currently being undertaken with local residents, businesses and stakeholders as part of a review regarding the Managed Approach.

“This will inform a report with recommendations regarding the Managed Approach, which will be brought to a meeting of the Safer Leeds Executive later this summer.”

Victim Daria Pionko

Pierre, of Leeds, has previously pleaded guilty to a charge of robbery.

As the judge was discussing sentencing Pierre left the dock and loudly slammed the door open.

The dock officer could then be heard telling the judge “he didn’t want to be here anymore.”

Members of Miss Pionko’s family, who were in court for the verdict, could be heard crying with the jury delivered their verdict. They were ushered away after the court case.