Leeds pays tribute to Orlando victims

A vigil was held last night

Leeds’ LGBT community joined together on Lower Briggate last night, commonly known as Gayleeds, in memorial of the victims of the ‘deadliest mass shooting in US history’.

Rainbow flags were erected and candles were burned next to American flags to commemorate at least 50 people who were killed in Orlando’s Pulse club – an act US President Barack Obama called an “act of terror and an act of hate”.

Despite the torrential rain, hundreds showed up at 10.30pm last night to pay their respects and onlookers said the streets were “rammed” with supporters.

Venues in the Gayleeds area stopped serving at 11pm as a mark of respect and a one minute silence was held. James Lewis, Deputy Councillor at Leeds City Council said of the event: “The idea of this vigil came about in such short space of time thanks to the LGBT community leaders of the Leeds LGBT scene and because of the immense feelings of love and support that some LGBT individuals of Leeds feel towards those affected by this horrendous crime.”