First years should be banned from going to the summer ball

They stopped third years getting tickets

Just in case you haven’t heard, all the ball tickets are sold out.

You might remember the website constantly crashing. You might remember all the desperate messages on the Facebook group. Not only are they sold out, but now people have began to lose all hope in their pleas for tickets.

Is there something happening there that someones not told me about? Is Prince Charles debuting his breakdancing career in Terrace that night? Obviously not.

The reality is long queues for the funfair rides outside, while something resembling a severely overdressed fruity takes place inside (we’re all still desperate to go regardless, me included). So there is absolutely no reason for the going rate to be that high.

But we all know the ball is going to be full of first years.

Yes I’ve said it, its all out in the open now. The elephant in the room that needs to be dealt with. First years buying all the tickets. Entire blocks who will hate each other by the time summer is here are all going together. Because first year doesn’t count, they were able to skip lectures and buy tickets instead.

Let’s be honest, despite the end of year ball seeming like a good place to reminisce about last year’s crazy endeavours at your school’s prom, from the point of view of a final year, it’s not.

Move aside, it’s a rite of passage and you guys haven’t earned it yet.

If you are one of the lucky few so have waited for online for two hours on the first day to snap one up then bravo, a very well done, you probably deserve it. But serious questions have to be raised about whether the end of year ball is the right place for freshers. Especially considering most of you could enjoy the atmosphere from your kitchens in Charles Morris.

So here is a plea on behalf of all the final years without tickets, who have waited all their university lives for one last dance with that special someone from halls.

After spending the last three years bumping into them in the library and sacrificing ourselves for the sake of dissertations, we deserve it more.

You’ve got another two years (if not more), giving you time to figure out the person that you want to save the last dance for. Trust us when your time does come, it’ll be worth the wait.