Who really cares about student elections?

Nobody.

With Leeds student election results rolling in in just a few hours, a vital question is still yet to be asked. Who really gives a fuck? I mean, apart from the candidates themselves.

I suppose we should care. We are now on the forefront of cutting edge democracy, Jack might get us a new water fountain near the lecture halls. It all feels like this is a practice simulation to prepare us for the real world with its real politics; a pantomime of what teenagers think genuine responsibilities are like.

Not to mention your average student just wants to get their degree and doesn’t want to get involved with the candidates newfound passion. The candidates are like your mates that are musicians, who need your active participation for their hobby, constantly bombarding you with Facebook invites. Yeah, great, I’ll just drop everything to help you fulfill a minor dream, brilliant.

We asked students at Leeds Beckett University what their take was on the elections.

Liam Lyons, a 22-year-old Games Design student said: “Elections ? I didn’t know who the original people in charge were, I’ve been here three years and I don’t know who’s getting replaced. I feel like its too late to start getting into it now.”

A reasonably new policy for candidates is the issue of gender neutral toilets. We asked Emma, a Leeds Beckett student about whether a policy for gender neutral toilets would win her vote or not: “Toilets aren’t labelled for gender, they’re labelled for genitalia, because if you’ve got a penis you can use urinals and if you’ve got a vagina you use cubicles. It works and it’s efficient, unisex toilets would just be cubicles without the urinals. Unisex toilets on paper are just women’s toilets. This whole issue is about ideas not about actual toilets. is it really worth the money, effort and time ?”

For those who aren’t fans of the whole election buzz, it’ll all be over with in a day or two, and for those who are into it……carry on I guess.