Old Bar is safe… apparently

The Chief Exec of LUU promises

Last week we brought you the news Leeds University Union Music Society had set up a petition too save Old Bar from the Union Upgrade’s modern designs.

The petition has since gained over 2,000 signatures, prompting Union bosses to listen to the concerns of the students who love Old Bar as it is.

The heavily criticised plans for Old Bar

In a blog post, the Chief Executive of LUU, Aidan Grills, said: “Old Bar has always been one of our most popular student spaces and there are certainly no plans to strip it of its atmosphere or take away from its cosy pub-feel.

“We always want to provide a variety of different spaces and the Old Bar must remain distinct from the Terrace, and also the newly refurbished Mine Bar once complete.”

The blog also also added Old Bar needs does need to be changed in order to accommodate the increase in it’s use but it will be kept in its current traditional style.

In more upsetting news, it was announced there will be a weekend of events leading up to the temporary closure of the Old Bar, which is at Easter.

Easter is only a few weeks away, so Old Bar will be closing sooner than you think for its upgrade.