Leeds student and Manchester grad missing after climbing Ben Nevis

Search crews have been looking for them since last Monday

Leeds Physics student Tim Newton and Manchester grad Rachel Slater have been reported missing after climbing Ben Nevis.

The pair have not been heard from since Monday 15th February, after climbing Ben Nevis in the Scottish Highlands.

They have both been described as experienced climbers and were thought to have been camping near the Charles Inglis Clark memorial hut, where their tent has been found.

Tim Newton and Rachel Slater

Mountain rescue services have attempted to search for the pair but have been hampered by poor weather over the past few days.

It is hoped that the weather will hold back to improve the ability for the search to take place.

In a joint statement, their families have said: “As a family we urge anyone who was in the Ben Nevis area last weekend and may have seen or spoken to Rachel and Tim at any time to get in touch.

“We think Rachel was climbing in a turquoise jacket and purple helmet. Tim may have been wearing a red jacket, similar to the photo in circulation.

“We’d also like to appeal to anyone planning to climb or hike in the area this weekend to be aware of the ongoing search activity and to report anything they feel may be relevant – even if it appears insignificant – to Police on 101.

“As the search continues we remain hopeful Rachel and Tim will be found and reunited with their families and friends.”

Police Scotland has said that it “continues to receive reports in connection with the ongoing appeal and would continue to ask anyone who has information, no matter how insignificant they may deem it to be, to contact police on 101. ”

A statement from the Lochamer Mountain Rescue Team said: “The weather next week is looking a little bit better than last.

“The winds look like they will be moderating a bit as temperatures drop. Snow is forecast every day with periods of heavy snow adding to the existing snow pack. The team will try and get parties on the hill most days.

“We would ask anyone who plans to climb on the Ben this week to post on our Facebook page the areas they were climbing and the routes done. This will help us eliminate parts of the mountain.

“The two casualties from last night lost gear on the summit in case anyone comes across rucksack/axes/rope close to summit shelter. Thanks to everyone who has contributed over the last week.”