The Leeds Takeaway Awards 2016

Don’t let looks deceive you

Leeds has a shit tonne of takeaways, and sometimes Just Eat’s endless list of eateries can be quite daunting.

Fear not: we’ve picked out the best takeaways in Leeds so you don’t have to.

Stick with these takeouts, and you’ll never go wrong.

Key

– Great value

$$ – A little pricey

$$$ – Mega dollar

BEST KEBAB

Zulfi’s – $

Zulfi’s, located in Hyde Park, boasts 20 different kebabs. Yeah, you heard right. As the winner of “Best Kebab Takeaway in Britain 2010”, it’s clear they know how to shave that spindle of meat just right.

BEST PIZZA

Pitza Cano – $$

Yes, Domino’s is good, but students just can’t afford a £54 2″ garlic bread. Although it may look like it just survived a nuclear blast, Pitza-Cano know what they’re doing when it comes to pizza. From “baked beans” to “crispy duck and brie”, there’s a pizza for everyone.

BEST BURGER

Boss Burgers – $$

This is without a doubt the place to go if you’re craving a juicy patty around Hyde Park. They only do 7 burgers but less is definitely more.

BEST CGB 

Flames – $

If you don’t know what CGB stands for, please click off this page. Flames gets it right: the bubbling stringy cheese on a thin doughy base. If Fruity wasn’t cheesy enough for you, this will certainly finish you off.

BEST CHEESY CHIPS

Flames again

Cheese certainly seems to be Flames’ forte. £2.30 for regular or £3.00 for the “double cheesy chips” that will be sure to give you heartburn. And yes, they do cheesy wedges too.

BEST CHICKEN

Dixy Chicken – $

For all things chicken, look no further. Dixy Chicken serves KFC-esque meals for half the price. With deals starting as low as £1.99 for chicken, chips and a drink, you’d be silly not to. The peri peri chicken is also not to be missed.

BEST FISH & CHIPS

Fisherman’s Wife – $$

Just down from the first Otley Run pub, this hidden gem serves fish and chips even Blackpool would be jealous of. £5.49 will get you a haddock and chips, or £19.99 for the four haddocks, four chips, two sides and two drinks deal.

BEST SANDWICH

Bakery 164 – $

It couldn’t be anywhere else. Queues of students craving their lunchtime meal constantly fill the street outside, and rightfully so. Sandwiches are around £3 with an additional 30p if you want it toasted. If you’re not already on the 164 hype, make sure you get on it.

MOST LEEDS MENU

Two grams please mate.

BEST MILKSHAKE

Shake-It – $$

Because where else can you get a Haribo Tangfastic milkshake? There’s not much they don’t do. Jammy Dodgers, Toxic Waste and even Tic Tacs are on the menu. £2.30 will get you a sizeable cup of any shake, £3.80 for a supersize.

BEST INDIAN

Spice Ranch – $

All the usual Indian food on the menu, good prices and good quality. There’s naan better.

BEST POSH NOSH

Almost Famous – $$$

Deliveroo now allows you to eat the baddest burgers in town in your own bed. Almost Famous has become a landmark in all big cities, and Leeds is no exception. The cheapest burger is a dizzying £8, but you won’t be disappointed. This is what overdrafts are made for (and the pulled pork waffle fries are also rather good).

BEST CHINESE

Sakura – $

Headingley’s gateway to China. A vast menu for all of your Oriental needs.

LEEDS’ BEST TAKEAWAY 2016

Flames

Flames just gets it right. The lunchtime deals save lives. The staff are the type of guys that put jalapeños on your CGB when you drunkedly ask for them in the delivery instructions. There’s 16″ pizzas. And they doesn’t just provide top scran, but a place where lifelong friendships are made as you wait for the bus.

Well-deserved.