Three rugby players suspended for alleged homophobic tweets

A disciplinary investigation has been launched

Three Leeds University rugby players have been suspended for a week after inappropriate tweets sent from the club’s Twitter account.

The tweets have since been deleted from the account and the rugby club launched an investigation..

The rugby team were last disciplined for a social which ended in them defecating outside Charles Morris

In a statement, a spokesperson for LURUFC said: “An issue with our Twitter account was recently brought to our attention; immediately we looked into the issue and deleted all the tweets that we realised were inappropriate.

“We conducted an internal investigation in line with our Disciplinary Procedures 2015/2016 to find out who was responsible for sending the tweets and how the account came to be mismanaged.

“During the investigation a further social media incident arose, which subsequently was included in our investigation.”

They added: “The Club has found that three individuals were involved and have now all been given various punishments for their misconduct.

“The Union is aware of such events and continue to give guidance and help to the Club.

“All three members understand how their behaviour was unacceptable and not in keeping with the positive and inclusive culture we wish the club to be known for.”

Speaking to The Tab, a spokesperson for LUU said: “As a result of allegations of homophobic comments via the club’s Twitter feed, a member of the club’s committee was spoken to by Union Management and asked to remove any offensive tweets from their feed.”

“The Union has not yet received any official complaints about the club’s feed but will continue to work closely with the committee to ensure that their communications remain appropriate.

“Any internal disciplinary procedures that are undertaken by the club is at their own discretion.

“If any student is concerned about the behaviour of any club or society, we urge them to speak to the Union’s Activities Team.”