The best day trips around Leeds

You’re going to need a car and some friends

Exams are now a distant memory, and you keep telling yourself that in semester two you’re going to do more things.

Why not start by visiting some of the best places on the doorstep of your university? Here’s the Tab’s definitive guide for the best day trips out of Leeds.

Ilkley

Travel Time: 45 minutes

Highlight: Hiking in the moors before a big pub lunch

You’re not a real Leeds student unless you’ve been to Ilkley – mulled cider at the Cow and Calf is practically a right of passage.

It’s a gentle hike, so you can even bring those housemates who are scared of the outdoors.

Harrogate

Travel time: 35 minutes

Highlight: Betty’s Tea Room

Harrogate is the middle class cousin of Leeds. It’s smaller, prettier, and the average age is about 50 years older.

Definitely worth a visit, but expect to get bored if you’re going for the whole day.

Malham Cove

Highlight: Reenacting the scene from Harry Potter

Travel time: 1 hour 15 minutes

You may not have heard of Malham Cove, but you might recognise it. The Cove was used as part of the set in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 2).

It’s the scene where Ron has fucked off and Harry and Hermione set up camp in a tent on the limestone rocks. It’s quite far, but if you like climbing up rocks, this is the place for you.

Haworth

Highlight: Bronte Waterfall

Travel time: 50 minutes

Haworth is famous for being the home of Charlotte, Emily and Anne: the Bronte sisters. In case you’ve forgotten your GCSE English Literature, Charlotte Bronte wrote Jane Eyre and Emily Bronte wrote Wuthering Heights.

It a nice combination of the cobbled streets of York and the gentle hikes of Ilkley. Check out the Bronte Waterfall while you’re there.

York

Travel time: 40 minutes

Highlight: York Minster and the Shambles

York is the definition of quaint. It’s like you’ve stepped back in time as you enter the walls and gaze upon the taverns, ruins and parks.

There’s loads of touristy stuff to do, but it can sometimes get quite busy. If you can, try to go on a day when the outdoor market is on.

Whitby

Travel time: 1 hour 40 minutes

Highlight: Having fish and chips on the beach

I know that a beach in England isn’t usually the most appealing thing, but grab a good group of friends and you can pretend it’s summer. Spend the day on the beach eating fish and chips.

Part of the Dracula novel is based in Whitby, so it’s got some creepy cultural parts too.