Leeds has been named one of the worst UK unis for free speech

No Robin Thicke here thanks

Leeds University has been named one of the worst universities in the UK for banning free speech.

The results of Spiked’s Free Speech University rankings named Leeds “red”, which means the uni has banned and actively censored ideas while creating a “hostile environment for free speech.”

Other unis ranked highly for censorship include Aberystwyth and Edinburgh.

Leeds Uni ranked red for their protocol of Freedom of Expression and the Union also ranked red for continuing to exclude hate speakers and fascists.

Other actions said to have contributed to the ranking include the exclusion of Robin Thicke song Blurred Lines, sexist greeting cards, pay-day lender advertising, The Sun and BAE systems by LUU.

Following the results the University released a statement saying: “The University is committed to promoting and positively encouraging free debate, enquiry and protest within the requirements placed on it by the law.

“It tolerates a wide range of views even when they are unpopular, controversial or provocative.

“Indeed, the University has never banned an event or speaker because of the subject matter and it hosts a broad range of debates and speeches on a wide range of subjects.

“The University’s policy is clearly set out in its Freedom of Expression Protocol.”