Woodhouse thief impaled on broken window trying to burgle students

Residents left him there as they waited for police to arrive

A burglar spent over half an hour impaled on the glass of a window he had smashed in Woodhouse.

Inside the house, six international students were asleep before being woken by the commotion.

William Bedford had tried to open a window at the house with a screwdriver on December 6th, before giving up and throwing a brick through it.

Woodhouse, where the attempted burglary took place

As he tried to climb through the window, Bedford caught himself on the glass and became stuck. The students left him there until the police arrived.

Bedford subsequently needed treatment for the cuts and lacerations on his body.

The 43-year-old  had an issue with drug addiction, and is thought to have been high on psychoactive drug Temazepam on the night of the burglary.

Bedford, who lives in Oatland Towers in Little London, has 10 previous convictions to his name.

After being caught in the act, he pleaded guilty to burglary with intent to steal and was given a nine month prison sentence – suspended for two years.

This means should he commit another offence in the next two years, he will forced to carry out the original prison sentence.

Bedford also has to take part in a drug rehabilitation program for his Tamazepam addiction.