LSR release ‘Fairytale of Hyde Park’ parody video

Cover your ears

leeds lsr the pogues

It’s the end of the semester and everyone is getting into that festive spirit – though the people at LSR may be a little too much.

Everyone’s favourite student radio station have released a parody of Christmas classic a Fairytale of New York, and it’s every bit as amazing/awful as it sounds.

The song features a selection of brilliant lyrics based around the lives of Leeds students, set to a backing track of less-than-brilliant vocal performances.

We spoke to the LSR’s Head of News Oliver Bramley and Head of the Beat Louisa Fox (who wrote the lyrics) about the inspiration behind the song.

Oliver said:  “So many great cities have songs written about them and we felt that Leeds needed one too.

“We then looked out of the window and saw it was Christmas and an idea was born.”

Louisa added: “Everyone is complaining at this time of year about second year housing issues/deadlines/everything going wrong at the end of the semester. So we thought we’d try to bring back some Christmas cheer, in the style of the Pogues.

“We think the emotions and subtext really resonate with anybody in the Hyde Park area at this time of year so it seems to have gone down well.”

Oliver and Louisa feature in the music video

Asked whether LSR would be releasing any more songs, maybe even an album, Louisa said:  “Well, there’s no shortage of inside jokes about being edgy in a mould-infested house. So I’ll go for a resounding yes.”

Oliver agreed: “I don’t see why not. My degree is really only incidental.”