We asked your opinions on Syrian airstrikes

Bombing started within an hour of the vote

airstrikes bombing bombs daesh drone hilary benn isil isis leeds LUU middle east syria uk uni yorkshire

It will not be news to many of you that on Wednesday night MPs voted in favour of airstrikes on Syria.

397 MPs voted in favour and 223 against after debates that lasted almost 11 hours on an issue which many people feel very strongly about.

One of the 66 Labour MPs who voted for the bombing of Syria is Leeds Central MP and Shadow Foreign Secretary, Hillary Benn.

While many in favour of bombing argue that it is the only way to stop ISIS and deal with the ever-increasing threat of terrorism, those opposing it cite the potential death of innocent civilians, the potential of increasing repercussions, and a rise in radicalisation.

The Tab spoke to some Leeds University students to find out what you really think about bombing in Syria.

Dave, 27, International Development and Kaleem, 20, International Development

“It’s really depressing. I found out last night while playing poker and was just so depressed by it. Everyone I have spoken to is so upset. It seems like a knee-jerk reaction with no nuanced discussion.”

“It’s not a long-term plan. They’re attacking an ideology. The next person will just take ISIS’s place.”

Vicky, 20, Politics

“It breaks my heart to be part of a country that kills innocent civilians in the interest of national security – which it won’t even provide.”

Hana, 20, Philosophy and Politics

“It doesn’t make sense going to war against an ideology. All it does is kill innocent civilians. It’s also interesting that we don’t have enough money to fund the NHS, but we do to go to war.”

Anna, 20, International Development

“It’s hypocritical and we are just feeding the problem. Fighting war with war just doesn’t make sense. We are attempting to help Syrian refugees but then creating the problem they are escaping from in the first place.”

Ayman, 19, Physics

“It might lead to bigger conflict like we saw with Blair and Iraq. I think it’s highly probable as the fact that the UK is against Assad might start a conflict – especially since Syria is backed by Russia and Turkey is backed by the UK. It really might lead to war.”

Sian, 18, English Literature and Language

“I don’t think it should happen. I am really disappointed. It’s not worth the inevitable outcome.”

Aaron, 23, Politics and Social Policy

“I think we should be bombing Syria, because until we treat radicalisation at home we won’t be safe. We can’t have nasty people doing nasty things on the borders of Europe.”

Nathan, 21, International Development

“History has proven that bombing doesn’t kill terrorism. It’s just making it worse. We need to acknowledge our nation’s history in this situation and recognise that there are people who benefit from these wars.”

James, 21, French and World Cinema

“I don’t agree – it’s not the right course of action. It’ll just fuck things up more. It’s fuelling ISIS and there will probably be more repercussions.”

Gavin, 21, International Relations

“I don’t agree – it’s a bad idea. A lot of the conversation about white men making decisions is irrelevant though and we need to put a lot of our traditional political ideas and debates to the side.

“We are talking about innocent civilians dying – we don’t have any right to go into a country and do that, especially when we are not only bombing ISIS members. It will be places where innocent civilians also live, as well as maybe ISIS members.

“Would we have bombed Ireland due to the IRA? Why is it okay when it’s over there?”

Kelly, 21, Childhood Studies

“Why is it seen as ‘acceptable’ for the west to massacre hundreds of innocent civilians and only considered ‘horrific’ when committed on western ground with western civilians victims to the attacks? East and west – All lives matter.”