Jeremy Corbyn came to Leeds yesterday

Needless to say, he killed it

conservative great hall jeremy corbyn labour leeds LUU politics speech

Jeremy Corbyn visited the University of Leeds yesterday to give a talk to student Labour supporters. 

The talk, which took place in the Great Hall, focused on his fears that a million people will be potentially excluded from voting in the 2017 election.

Jezza talked of the populations that are unlikely to be represented in the next election due to this, including students, the homeless and those who have to frequently change home.

He urged people to door knock, flyer, talk to people and campaign to get as many people on the register as possible so that the highest level of democracy can be achieved.

He also spoke about inequality, questioning the low corporation tax and tax cuts for the richest one per cent of the country, while claiming cuts on tax credits are affecting millions of working families under the Conservative government.

Jeremy claimed he believes we can achieve equality in society, and that this is why he is leading the Labour movement. He said: “I did not put myself up to lead Labour for my own benefit. I am not that kind of man.”

Education fees were also mentioned, with Jeremy talking of the importance of equal opportunity into education and apprenticeship schemes. He commended those planning to attend the protest occurring in London this Wednesday.

After his speech, and a large round of applause, Corbyn then took questions from the audience. One asked him to promise to put the case of Tara Hudson, a young transgender women sentenced to time in an all-male prison, to the House of Commons – to which he agreed.

Another student asked how the political debate can reach the “ghettos” of the UK, highlighting the fact that most events like yesterday’s take place in universities or in areas where people are already interested by politics.

To this he once again urged people to spread the word, also mentioning schemes to get education of politics into these areas.

He said: “We want people to vote because they want to, not because we have forced them to.”

Reports that Jez would pop into the Old Bar for a pint after were unfortunately unfounded.

Maybe next time.