We went to the Harry Potter Society’s sorting ceremony

Please not Slytherin

gryffindor gryphon harry potter hogwarts hufflepuff LUU ravenclaw slytherin sorting ceremony

Armed with only my trusty Quick Quotes Quill and a vague knowledge of all things Harry Potter, I joined the Quidditch and Harry Potter Society for an initiation like no other.

Their annual Sorting Hat ceremony was held in the not-so-Great Hall of the Union’s Common Room, and was a less-than-magical affair in comparison to the films.

Where were the floating candles and chicken drumsticks?

Firstly, we had to answer questions to find out which House we belonged in. This was bitterly disappointing -the Sorting Hat should have known this when I sat down.

Having answered these questions, finding out my House became a waiting game. A very, very long waiting game. If they showed the whole of the ceremony in the films it would have been a film in itself. Finally, about an hour and a quarter into the ceremony, it was my go.

Please not Slytherin, please not Slytherin

I took my place in the chair in great anticipation, hoping to be a Gryffindor, as that would  increase my chance of being a BNOC. With adrenaline rushing through my veins, the Soaring Hat roared my House: I was to be a…

No, wait a minute. The Sorting Hat did not roar – it didn’t even talk. This was not the magical moment of my dreams. It was down to Professor (President) Kunal Ramchurn to announce my House to my adoring public.

“HUFFLEPUFF!”

This was a low point in my life. Hufflepuff isn’t the House I wanted. It seemed only diehard Potter fans wanted Hufflepuff. No-one else did, but they all got the House they wanted. The Gryffindors, Slytherins and (maybe not so much) Ravenclaws all rejoiced in their given House. I didn’t. I sat down and reflected upon what I’ve done to deserve this.

Wanna huffle my puff?

In a bid to raise my mood about being a Hufflepuff I sought advice from the President of the Society Kunal Ramchurn. I asked whether I should be proud of this moment. His response was: “Some people would be, personally I wouldn’t take pride in being a Hufflepuff.”

With this crushing blow to my ego, we were assembled into our Houses for a team building exercise. The Hufflepuffs were ushered into a corner out of the way like the outcasts we are, with the only compensation being some yellow cupcakes. We were tasked with building a bridge, so we finally put the Gryphon newspaper to good use.

GRYPHON-DOR

Whether we made a bridge or a table is debatable, but Hufflepuff did eventually achieve something. We won. I mean it’s not really anything to be proud of, but it’s an achievement for the worst House.

Not being a major Harry Potter fan myself, this event was certainly an eye-opener and it was rather difficult to find anyone to not have a Harry Potter related conversation with. Even so, it was quite entertaining.

The Harry Potter Society do have a Quidditch team who compete against other Unis across the UK, and apparently the people on the Quidditch team are in simple terms less enthusiastic about Harry Potter than the rest of the Society.

The president of the Society, who is a Quidditch player, admits he doesn’t have enough Harry Potter knowledge to be President and has even been called out by the rest of the committee for his lack of knowledge.

So if you are interested in playing Quidditch, or if you are a major Harry Potter fan, you can join the society – but you might want to keep away from each other to avoid any Butterbeer-fuelled violence.