Fourth year comedian featured by Jason Manford

The comedian’s brother took a shine to Leeds medic Kiran

| UPDATED chortle comedian comedy kiran morjaria leeds stand up student

Between a Medicine degree and being one of our our very own editors, you’d think fourth year Kiran Morjaria wouldn’t have a lot of free time.

However that didn’t stop him being featured on Jason Manford’s Facebook page this weekend for his stand-up efforts.

Kiran said: “Basically Jason Manford is doing a Facebook fast and not using social media for a whole month.

“But his brother Colin posted on a comedy performance page saying if you donate to this charity he’d choose some comedians to be posted on his brother’s page.

“The next day I saw myself on the page, which was obviously so exciting.

“People started sending it to me, and from that the YouTube videos have had two or three thousand more views overnight.

“It’s great because they’re just random videos of a gig I did like a month ago.”

Kiran has been involved in the LUU comedy society since he started doing stand-up about a year ago.

He said: “In my second year I hosted a couple of shows and from there someone said to me they thought I could do it as an act in itself.

“The next year I came back, started doing open mics and getting more gigs. I played the same shows the following year, not as a host, but as an actual act!”

Although it all looks like fun and games when he’s up on stage, it sounds like there’s some serious consideration needed in stand-up.

Kiran says: “At every single gig I do I’ll get recorded, and then I’ll watch it back and see what people found funny and work on it from there”, he says.

“Every single time, you’re just trying to build the best set that you can and be better than you were last time.”

As for whether comedy is something that could take precedence for Kiran over his medical degree after uni, he remains quietly optimistic.

He said: “I’d love to do it after uni, but it’s like anything in the entertainment business – there’s such a small amount of people who actually make it.

“If I could it would be amazing, but if not I still have a great degree to fall back on.”

We asked Kiran what his favourite joke was, and he settled on one by Lou Sander.

He said: “I waited an hour for my starter so I complained: ‘It’s not rocket salad’.”

Very funny.