Man jailed after sex attack outside Halo nightclub

Mark Varley had three previous convictions for indecent assault

assault crime halo leeds mark varley sex attack

A sex attacker has been jailed for two years after assaulting a terrified student outside the now-closed Halo nightclub.

Mark Varley, 32, grabbed her as she stood behind a nearby burger van on her phone on May 20th last year outside the nightclub on Woodhouse Lane.

Varley, who has three previous convictions for indecent assault on young women, dragged his victim into an alleyway and told her he would make it worse if she screamed.

The victim begged Varley to stop as he proceeded to sexually assault her.

Varley stopped when a group of people walked by the other end of the alleyway, prompting the woman to walk away.

Halo nightclub, which is now closed

He then followed his victim, who was too afraid of a further assault by Varley to scream for help.

CCTV images show that Varley followed her into a McDonald’s restaurant where the woman raised the alarm.

Varley was arrested but claimed he was following her because he thought she was upset and wanted to help.

Throughout the ordeal he pleaded not guilty to the charge but was found guilty after trial.

Judge Penelope Belcher told Varley: “The defence you put forward was barely credible.

“This was plainly a very nasty and a very frightening incident.”

As well as being jailed for two years Varley was also told he will be put on the sex offenders register for 10 years.