Man pleads guilty to murder of Leeds second year

Billy Jacob Mankelow was killed on a night out in April

billy jacob mankelow court get baked hearing leeds murder richard danter viaduct

A 31-year-old man has pleaded guilty to the murder of Get Baked employee Billy Jacob Mankelow earlier this year.

Billy, a Social Science second year, died after being found with serious head injuries near the train station earlier this year.

Now 31-year-old Richard Danter is facing life in prison for his brutal murder.

According to the Crown Prosecution Service, Danter met the victim in the Viaduct Club on Friday 24 April 2015, where they were seen dancing and socialising by witnesses.

The two left the club together in the early hours of the morning, and Billy was found unconscious by members of the public who were on their way back to their hotel a short time later.

They immediately called the emergency services who treated the victim at the scene for severe head injuries.

Billy was transferred to the Leeds General Infirmary, but died the following day as a result of his injuries.

Following a British Transport Police investigation, Danter was identified as a key suspect and was arrested and later charged with murder.

Robin Allen, Senior Crown Prosecutor from West Midlands Crown Prosecution
Service, said: “Like many people up and down the country, Billy Mankelow
had finished work and had gone out on a Friday night to socialise with some
friends.

“However, he had the misfortune of meeting Richard Danter, who had
a history of violence.

“Danter left the nightclub with the victim and they ended up by the city’s
railway arches, and it was there that the defendant carried out a violent
and unprovoked attack on the victim.

“The defendant then tried to hide what he had done by trying to conceal the
body of the victim.

“The West Midlands Crown Prosecution Service and British Transport Police
have worked closely to build a strong prosecution case against Danter, and
having seen the evidence against him, the defendant today admitted murder and he will now have to deal the consequences of his actions.

“Our thoughts are today with the family and friends of Billy Mankelow.”

The Recorder of Leeds, Peter Collier, QC, told Danter he would be returned to prison until the next hearing.

He said: “You will be remanded in custody until then. I do not foresee circumstances where you might be granted bail.”