The definitive guide to the new Laidlaw library

There’s no level flirteen

The Laidlaw has been the talk of campus for some time now, and yesterday it finally opened to a flood of keenly studious exam-goers who fancied a change of scenery.

Never ones to miss an opportunity, we headed down with a keen critical eye to see if it lives up to the other libraries that Leeds has come to know and love.

Name

While it’s nothing new to name a University building after a generous benefactor, some people haven’t been particularly happy that this one is named after an infamous sex-addicted tax exile.

The name does have a certain ring to it though, and there’s something satisfying about having alliteration above the door of a place where words are so important.

Is it better than the Brotherton? Not at all. Edward Brotherton, 1st Baron Brotherton, had a moustache even more impressive than his mouthful of a name.

Is it better than Eddy B? Nope. Edward Boyle may have only got a third, but that puts him right at home with the type of people who doss about in his library.

Exterior

Although it sort of resembles the bad guy in a Transformers film, there’s something quite beautiful about the fact that the Laidlaw looks like a war machine built to rain destruction down upon all living things.

You also get views of the prettiest uni buildings on one side and town on the other, which has to be better than the Edward Boyle’s view of the arse-end of the Union.

Is it better than the Brotherton? Well the Parkinson building is pretty impressive, but it probably doesn’t really count. The outside of the Brotherton itself is definitely a lot more bland.

Is it better than Eddy B? Let’s be honest, the only building uglier than the Edward Boyle is the Roger Stevens.

Decor

As soon as you step through the revolving doors and enter the futuristic lobby, you know you’re onto a winner. The reception looks like the bridge of the Star Trek Enterprise, and the little glass turnstile replacements are so mesmerising that you’ll want to walk through them over and over again.

The furnishing is tasteful, and there’s a generous selection of plush chairs to lounge in or frosted-glass windows to peer at your revision crush through.

The only thing to note, however, is it looks like someone forgot to finish the ceiling. If we could get on that right away that’d be grand.

Is it better than the Brotherton? Nothing will ever beat those dreamy marble pillars.

Is it better than Eddy B? Anything would be better than Eddy B’s decor.

Price

The University have spared no expense with the Laidlaw if the insane gadgets and extras are anything to go by.

According to The Gryphon, it’s allegedly built with sound-dampening material to drown out noise, meaning that someone obviously forgot to tell them Halo closed down six months ago.

But even better are the huge HD screens riveted to the walls which literally exist only to inform you libraries have staff.

Is it better than the Brotherton? The Brotherton looks like it cost all of the money in the world.

Is it better than Eddy B? The Eddy B looks like it was built on a student loan.

Flirtiness

Everyone knows that the real reason the students of Leeds use the library is to flirt – Edward Boyle even had a whole level named after it.

While at first glance the Laidlaw seems to have more boundaries to overcome in the form of those huge passive-aggressive orange barriers, things are a bit more social upstairs.

Maybe Level Three will prove to be a contender for Level Flirteen’s crown. After all, they already have their own EddyBHotshots.

Is it better than the Brotherton? Obviously. Even Harry Styles couldn’t pull in the Brotherton.

Is it better than Eddy B? No. No it is not.

Procrastination value

In terms of places to procrastinate, all other libraries pale into insignificance next to the Laidlaw. Comfy egg chairs to take a nap in? Check. Huge LCD screens to plug in and watch films? Double check.

However the real procrastination station comes in the form of the plush Caffè Nero in the lobby, where you can stock up on caffeine while you contemplate the crushing truth – even our very right to learn is now owned by the corporations.

If you want to put off your revision, be sure to check out the whiteboards where students have written their opinions on the Laidlaw.

Highlights include “Where are the Bees” and, of course, “Make Hockey Section”.

Is it better than the Brotherton? Well, the Brotherton has giant maps – those things are endless hours of fun.

Is it better than Eddy B? Yes. Level Flirteen aside, there’s not much procrastination opportunity in there.

Study value

It has desks and chairs aplenty, but the Laidlaw is conspicuously lacking something. We’re not library experts, but we’re pretty sure there are meant to be books – in our visit there, we couldn’t find a single one.

We hope they haven’t forgotten. The books are quite important.

Is it better than the Brotherton? The Brotherton has loads of books, and most of them are really big and really old.

Is it better than Eddy B? The Eddy B has even more books than the Brotherton.