Have you got the ‘Christmas bug’ yet?

We mean the kind of bug that makes you ill


Christmas is nearly here, which means it’s time to brace yourself for long, dark nights and the potential for snow.

You can try to stay warm with a glass of something mulled and a few extra jumpers but if you’re in a student house chances are you’re going to be shivering from now until Easter.

It gets even worse when you have to go on a night out and try to wear the same flesh-baring outfit you did in the summer.

Wrap up warm out there folks

Given all this, it’s no surprise so many people get ill at Christmas time. But, if you’re not in a life-threatening condition, going to A&E isn’t the answer.

If you’re feeling rough, call 111 from your mobile and NHS’s team of fully trained advisers will be able to assess your symptoms and give you the healthcare advice you need.

If need be, they’ll also direct you towards the local service that can help you best, whether that be A&E, an out-of-hours doctor, an urgent care centre or a walk-in centre, a community nurse, an emergency dentist or a late-opening chemist.

They can even book an appointment for you, or transfer you to the people you need to speak to.

Call 111 mate

Most students don’t know what to do when they or someone they know is hurt or feeling unwell and assume the best thing to do is call 999 or visit A&E. In most cases though, neither of these are necessary.

If NHS 111 staff decide you do need an ambulance, they can immediately arrange for one to be sent out to you.