Two charged with murder of Leeds Uni student

Thai court charges two men with murder of David Miller and Hannah Witheridge

national noad

Burmese bar workers Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Hutn have been accused of the murder of two British tourists, including Leeds University student David Miller.

He and Hannah Witheridge were found dead on a beach on the island of Ko Tao.

The two men have been charged with conspiracy to murder, conspiracy to rape and robbery.

Deputy police chief spokesman Colonel Kissana Phathanacharoen said neither man appeared in court to hear the charges.

He said: “Here in Thailand we are able to submit paperwork to the court without the appearance of the offenders, while they are held in custody.

“A judge will look at the documentation and decide when they will have the court hearing.”

Police claim the two men have confessed to the murders, but the Thai authorities have drawn criticism for the handling of the case.

University of Essex student Hannah Witheridge was described as “a beautiful, intelligent, loving young woman who poured joy into the lives of all who knew her” by her family.

David Miller was on course to receive a first-class degree in Civil and Structural Engineering at Leeds.

His family said he was a “hard-working, bright and conscientious” young man who would be “sorely, sorely missed”.