Police launch appeal after multiple students mugged near Oxley

Two street robberies took place over the weekend close to Oxley halls of residence.

Police are appealing for information after two street robberies near Oxley over the weekend.

A 19 year-old woman was mugged by two men on Otley Road close to the halls of residence last Saturday at around 12.10pm.

They grabbed her bag and stole her Ipod, bank cards and cash.

One was described as a very dark skinned black male, aged 18 to 20, about about 5ft 9ins tall. He was wearing a light grey marl hooded top.

The other was white, aged 18 to 20 and about 5ft 6ins tall. He was wearing a white hooded top with a zip.

A second mugging took place at about 12.30pm last Sunday. A 19-year-old man was approached by two men on a path near to Oxley Hall.

One man pushed him against a fence and demanded cash before the other punched him in the face.

They grabbed his headphones before the victim broke free and ran off. The headphones were later recovered by police at the scene.

One of the robbers was described as white, aged about 17 to 18, slim, with short dark blond shaved hair. He had a strong Yorkshire accent and was wearing a black hooded top.

The other was said to be darker skinned with a big nose. He was said to be aged 17 to 18 and possibly had a thin black moustache. He was also wearing a black hooded top.

West Yorkshire Police said they are liaising with university security over the incidents.

Anyone who witnessed either incident or who has any information is asked to contact PC 3579 Simon Goldie at Weetwood Police Station via 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.