Out of Line(s)

What’s it like living with housemates who take cocaine every day? One Leeds student tells all.

“One night, people encircled me and started shoving keys under my nose. When I turned away someone shouted: ‘There is literally no reason not to try it!'”

While a large proportion of students in Leeds use drugs, the ‘everyone’s doing it’ attitude doesn’t necessarily apply to all those who attend university.

A recent Guardian Student blogdescribes the pressures of being teetotal when your housemates are regular drug users.

An anonymous second year undergrad at Leeds is struggling to cope in a living environment where housemates “use cocaine and speed every day”.

Always being the sober one can lead to feelings of exclusion from social situations and the problem of peer pressure, the student claims.

“I feel left out… Now that my housemates have started taking drugs to help them study I have to keep coming up with new reasons to say no.”

The teetotaller does admit to a certain degree of naivety before coming to university but also describes some of the difficulties of living in an environment where there is no divide between work and pleasure.

“I was shocked by the sheer quantities of drugs being taken… It was a nightmare trying to concentrate on my anti-realism essay over the retching from next door.”

According to the blog, one stimulant-fuelled evening took its toll on the upholstery.

“Our carpet still reeks of sick from a night of random pills.”

But things became a lot more serious when a housemate passed out as a result of his drug consumption.

“Last week one of the boys collapsed in the hall and it put me in the horrible position of having to decide whether to call anyone.”

However, it’s not all bad. Housemates off their heads can also have their benefits, it is suggested.

“Last month one of them took speed and cleaned my bathroom. I wish he’d cleaned the sick up first time round, but his heart was in the right place.”

Although feeling uncomfortable at first, the sober second-year concedes that being more open in your views towards drug use is not necessarily a bad thing even if you don’t ever plan to take them.

“We don’t have to change our behaviour towards drugs but we do have to ditch narrow ideas about them. People on drugs convinced me of that.”