10 ‘Girly’ Drinks Guys are Reclaiming

Being a student means that in terms of alcohol, we’ll take what we can get. So is there really such a thing as ‘Girly’ drinks anymore?

In the age of the metrosexual lad, there shouldn’t be any shame in ordering whatever you want at the bar.

So let’s take a look at some drinks the guys are taking back.

1 – Rosé/White Wine

What’s in it: Fermented Grapes

Percentage: Between 12 – 15%

Despite any feminine connotations that come with wine, with its refreshing flavours and crisp finish, blokes are grabbing it by the neck (of the bottle) and making it their own. And why not?

Even if it you’re not going on a night out or having a party, it is great to have with food, and girls can find it very appealing if a guy can successfully navigate a wine list.

2 – WKD/VK

What’s in it: Vodka, Real Fruit?

Percentage: 4%

Even with the witty and amusing ads, ordering one of these one of these used to get you laughed at. Maybe it’s the colour, or maybe the fruity flavours.

But as they taste like soft drinks, they go down like soft drinks, basically existing just to get you drunk.  Hence the current popularity with sports societies and strawpedo lovers in Halo.

3 – Mojito

What’s in it: White Rum, Mint, Lime Juice, Sparkling Water, Sugar

Percentage: 10-14%

Remember that scene in James Bond Die Another Day? The one where Pierce Bronsan looks across the stunning Cuban coast and lays eyes on a glistening Halle Berry?

Can you guess what he’s drinking? Nope, not a Vesper Martini – it’s a Mojito. Hard to believe this drink isn’t a guys go to beverage after an appearance like that. Just give it a go in Terrace.

4 – Cosmopolitan

What’s in it: Vodka, Cranberry Juice, Orange Liqueur, Lime juice

Percentage: 27.3 – 30%

Not a personal favourite, but one that is seen more often than not in bars. Even with the association with Sex and the City, guys are ordering them more and more.

Probably because it comes in a martini glass and is a very well-known drink. This tastes good and is usually first on the cocktail list.

5 – Long Island Iced Tea

What’s in it: Vodka, Rum, Gin, Tequila, Triple Sec, Coke, Lemon/Lime Juice

Percentage: 22%

Don’t think I’ve come across anyone that doesn’t enjoy one of these. It’s understandable really, they’re jam packed with spirits and topped off with a citrus finish.

Can drink them slowly and have a nice evening, or tank through them like juice. Perfect for any occasion. Plus you can get them in a big jug, what’s more manly than having a pitcher to yourself?

6 – Strawberry Daiquiris

What’s in it: White Rum, Strawberries, Lime Juice, Ice

Percentage: 13%

A favourite of both ex-President John F. Kennedy and writer Ernest Hemingway, so its masculinity can’t really be questioned. A nice dry, refreshing drink that also gives you some of your 5 a day!

What’s not to like? Word of warning, they look like they may make you slightly narcissistic. Just look at Marshall here getting into how beautiful he is.

Did you fall from heaven? Because have sex with me.

7 – Blue Lagoon

What’s in it: Vodka, Blue Curacao Liquor, Lemonade

Percentage: 13%

Any guy is often taught to stay clear of brightly coloured beverages, but an exception can be made for this one.

It’s more than just a flashy drink, there’s a nice citrus kick in there too. A great refreshing cocktail to have at any time.

8 – Sex on the Beach

What’s in it: Vodka, Peach Schnapps, Creme de Cassis, Orange Juice, Cranberry Juice

Percentage: 12 -15%

Usually a complete no-no for any guy as its seen to be the most girly of all girly drinks.

But drinking one is almost a test of masculinity, cause if any guy can order one without so much as blinking, then they’re a fearless man.

9 – Cuba Libre

What’s in it: White Rum, Coke, Lime

Percentage: 18%

Dates back to the 19th century during the American – Spanish war. At this time Cuban soldiers weren’t allowed alcoholic drinks while in uniform, so the bartender would pour some coke out of the bottle and refill it with rum.

The wedge of lime was used to mask the smell. The name translates to ‘free Cuba’. Not necessarily saying that just because it is created during a war it makes it more manly, but it doesn’t exactly scream Vanessa Carlton’s ‘A Thousand Miles’. A nice simple cocktail for a lad.

10 – Vodka Cranberry

What’s in it: Vodka, Cranberry Juice

Percentage: 15%

Probably the most basic of all cocktails, and one that is often used to slam as a pre-drink.

Not usually in a fancy way, but more as it is one of the cheapest ones to do as you just need the alcohol and a carton of juice, making it appealing to any student. Also cranberry juice adds a nice healthy twist for the gym guys.

Other articles recommended by this author